Eating Sand

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tambo26, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Tambo26

Tambo26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Orrington, MAINE
    I have a BO hen that has just come off molt and has lost some weight subsequently. She has had a very full but maleable crop the last few days. It does go mostly down during the night. She has always been a piggy, eat, eat, eat. I just wormed them all last weekend andI started noticing the full, full crop since the worming. Even though her crop seems full she continues to chows down. I kept the food away from her (except for some mash in the morning) for one day. When I got home her crop was again FULL (with WHAT?!) She is pooping fine, all normal poo. Color is good, feathers are good. She is even laying an egg every other day. I've been watching her just be a chicken the last few days to make sure she's ok and I found that when she drinks water... it's almost like a game! She takes a beak full of water and then chases the drops that fall from her beak to the ground trying to catch them! Then she eats the sand where the drops fall! She's got one of the other girls copying her too! So anyway.... I think she's eating a lot of sand. AND FOOD. I'm going to put the water jug on a board on TOP of the sand to prevent this! LOL! They are so funny! I didn't need help here but I thought people that have sand in their chicken areas might keep it in mind if they have chicken issues! :)

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Are they free range or are you providing adult grit?

3. Tambo26

Tambo26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Orrington, MAINE
    I provide grit for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by