1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eating shavings?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by smb004, Mar 12, 2008.

1. smb004

smb004 New Egg

Mar 4, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Just moved the chicks into a new bigger home with shavings as a substrate. They seem to be picking and eating the stuff. It is just the regular shavings for bedding I got at the feed store.

This is OK, right?

2. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Yep, chicks seem to like those pine shavings! [​IMG]

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    They should be fine on them as long as the shavings are not Cedar...snoopy little critters scratch around in the stuff for awhile and then decide its not worth eating!!...lol...mine peck on the stuff all the time when I first put them on it...

4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I put mine in shavings, but I also put some chick starter in with it, so when they scratch around and pick, they can find some edible stuff to eat.

5. littlebanty

littlebanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Just be careful with super fine shavings. If the chicks eat them it could kill them. Right now I am just using a towel and keep washing it with bleach. But I plan on going with shavings soon. I will probably go with the large flake instead of meduim. I noticed TSC uses the pelleted bedding that turns to a fine dust. But it doesnt seem to affect the chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by