Eating sick birds?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Metamech, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Metamech

Metamech New Egg

Feb 27, 2012
    My meat birds have problems and I think it all stems from buying birds at an auction as I've NEVER had sick chickens before.

1. I think they have Mycoplasma Gallisepticum. If so, can I just butcher them all without treating them? Would canning be the best way to ensure all diseases are gone?

2. Mites or lice. Dangerous for humans?

3. Bleeding feet due to burned toes on manure (I'm guessing as they have deep burns in their feet and what appears to be bumblefoot).

I have 50 birds and I've spent nearly 300 in feed and they're ready to be slaughtered but I had to disassemble a chicken tonight due to it being very thin and having a cough as well as watery eyes.

Can I safely kill all illnesses if I pressure can them? I'm not rich and this meat was to be our next years worth of food.

I read a post here from a 'redneckchicken' guy about cutting his losses and sending all sick birds to an auction. Must have gotten some of his birds.

2. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    I wouldn't, but I don't know a whole lot about diseases in meat birds. Did they have mites and lice and burned feet when you got them, because if they did I would tell the person who sold them that they really need to improve their birds' living conditions.

3. Metamech

Metamech New Egg

Feb 27, 2012
    Now should I conclude that a pressure canning WON'T kill all diseases the birds are infected with?

4. weirdturkeyfreak

weirdturkeyfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    i did some research & here's what i came up with:
    1. it doesn't seem like it can be transmitted to people, but it is very unpleasant for the bird
    2. feather mites do not like people they can bite u then after a day or so away from the bird they die. this is the reason why u have #1 mites transmit this disease. can be prevented by regularly cleaning barn
    3. BEWARE: can be transmitted to people

most diseases will die once u cooked them. but since we are unsure of what diseases your chickens have i'm not sure how accurate the info i gave u is. is there a bird veterinarian in your area?
    i hope i helped.

5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    bumble foot is a staff infection that can enter the blood stream. I would not eat that, although people who eat grocery store birds probably do all the time.

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Instead of eating them, treat them, and once they have been cured, then eat them. You'll have to wait for the antibiotic to leave their system.

Bumblefoot can be treated and it should be treated. It's cruel to allow the birds to limp around in pain.

There is no excuse to leave lice or mites on your birds and not treat them to get rid of the pest.

The birds with MG should all be butchered, but not until after you clear up their symptoms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by