1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eating Silkys

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bgreen65, Jan 27, 2010.

1. bgreen65

bgreen65 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    Marble Falls, TX.
    I hatched 10 silky eggs , 5 hens & 5 Roo's. Has any one eaten Silkys, and are they big enough to be worth while? They are 15 weeks old now.
    Bobby

2. chseeads

chseeads Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    I guess if ya like blue chicken. lol [​IMG]

3. bgreen65

bgreen65 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    Marble Falls, TX.
    I had not thought of that, anybody want silky Roo's. :)
    Thanks, Bobby

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

5. Hozer

Hozer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Homer, Alaska
    My wife is Chinese. They call them soup chickens. I have had it....tastes like chicken...just looks kinda "inky". They also put them in turtle soup. In China you can buy them live at the open market (sorry, silkie people). They have cages and cages of them.

6. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    I know what you mean about them being worth it......but really, if you want a productive flock, even a small one, you have to eliminate the chickens that have nothing to offer you. Kill 4 of them, even though you won't get much out of them and you will save a huge percentage on your feed. I mean if you keep 6 out of 10......thats quite a decrease in the feeding requirements. Of course, that being said it would take 2 of them to feed my family if the older children was in college and all 4 if the whole family was home for a weekend.

7. Egg_newton

Egg_newton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    East Central Indiana
    I love silkies and dont want to offend any other silkie lovers (after all they are still chickens) but I was thinking about talking to the ppl who own the chinese restaurant in town and seeing if the wanted my extra roos.

8. philbee

philbee Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2010
    I haven't eaten a pure breed silkie but I mixed a silkie roo with some standard hens because I had read that black skinned chicken was supposed to be more nutritious and better tasting. A chinese collegue had told me that. Anyways, I thought they were good and the black skin and bones were interesting.

9. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    I used to have a lot of oriental customers that liked to kill their own chickens and ducks and they did seem to have a preference to dark skinned birds. They frowned upon white chickens. They would accept chickens with yellow skin, but wanted the feathers to be dark.....which I just figured .....if thats what you want, fine. They would get mad at me sometimes because I wouldn't sell them my hens. They wanted to eat the hens more than the roosters. Said they taste better.

10. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I've heard they taste great...no experience, but i might try it sometime.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by