Eating Squirrels and Bugs--?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Lyddz, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Lyddz

Lyddz Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2011
    Alliance/Sebring
    I was recently over at my grandpa's house when he was starting a bonfire with a old book. I looked over at the title before he set it on fire, and it was something along the lines of "Squirrels: the hunting, the cooking and the eating." Now, my dad loves all animals (except the pre-dead animal he buys at the store to eat) so it's not like I'm going to grab a gun and cook one for dinner. Plus I'm a horrible shot and I don't think we even own a gun. But, does anyone have anything to say about hunting and eating squirrels?

Another thing I've been looking at is etomophagy. I have family out in Africa or wherever, I have no idea, but when I was younger they sent us a video of them making and eating chocolate-covered crickets. Eight years later, I'm still jealous!! Anyone raise/buy crickets, grasshoppers, snails, mealworms or other bugs and eat them? Should I attempt or no? Even if I don't eat them, wouldn't they be good for my (future) chickens?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  2. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Check out these squirrel recipes [​IMG] http://www.backwoodsbound.com/zsquir.html

Never
    purposely ate a whole bug, although I thought my brother liked [​IMG] me 1 time when he gave me chocolates and seemed so anxious for me to enjoy them...yeh, they were chocolate covered bugs.

3. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    Used to eat squirrel all the time.
    has to be cooked right or it's gamey and tough. Almost no fat.
    and NO, it does NOT taste like chicken. It tastes like squirrel.
    great in stews that simmer for a long time.

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Seeing as how this is a poultry board and all I can tell you that many species of bugs are good to eat.

I process mine through a hen first.

They're delicious that way.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Squirrels slow cooked until tender- on the bugs I will pass-no interest. Squirrel is excellent. I especially like it in a sauerbraten type sauce or stew.

6. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    My DH and DS go hunting for squirrel all the time. I used to go hunting myself when I was a kid but after my father past it just wasn't any fun anymore for me. I still cook it however and eat it too. Just fixed squirrel with gravy over rice [​IMG] a few days ago, but I draw the line at bugs [​IMG] .

7. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    Awww the HillBilly coming out --- My momma used to cook up a squirrel and make gravy on it - the boys in the hollar loved it .... I never par took in the fair myself ...

8. paddock36

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Quote:Just checked out the recipe website and [​IMG] it made my mouth water.

9. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    We'd always bring a bunch home for my mom's freezer that were taken during turkey season...if we didn't, oh boy. [​IMG]

10. paddock36

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Quote:I think almost all of us on BYC have a little "Hillbilly" in us. I mean if you have or had chicks inside your house you have to be a little bit Hillbilly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by