1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

eating straw out of nesting box???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by eastultz, Jan 13, 2009.

1. eastultz

eastultz New Egg

Apr 2, 2008
    My chickens, 2 red sex-links and one white leghorn, seem to be eating the straw out of their nesting box! I put in new filler, and they either knock it to the floor, or it disappears. Then all we can hear are their claws scratching at the nesting box. Is there something else I should put in instead??? This is a new behavior, they've been laying on the straw no problem for months now....

Any insight would be appreciated!
    Thanks!

2. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I have the same exact problem, except I use hay instead of straw. Mine eat some and knock the rest out. I don't really think of it as a problem, more as a solution! This way, I don't have to add bedding to the coop as frequently. I just add some more hay to their boxes every Saturday, which is my day for checking over the coop.

3. sara

sara Title Needed Here

My chickens empty the boxes as fast as I fill them. [​IMG]

4. wings

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Is that a problem in terms of the egg cracking, or something like that?

5. eastultz

eastultz New Egg

Apr 2, 2008
    Quote:It's not a problem yet, there's been no cracked eggs, I just can't see how they could be comfortable, and I don't understand why this behavior has just started... They are in a 4'x8' yard with an 2nd story 2'x4' roost and nesting box. I had started to think they are bored and want more to do or something.

6. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:It's not a problem yet, there's been no cracked eggs, I just can't see how they could be comfortable, and I don't understand why this behavior has just started... They are in a 4'x8' yard with an 2nd story 2'x4' roost and nesting box. I had started to think they are bored and want more to do or something.

Maybe they are in the coop to much ? ..... Mine have 24/7 access to the coops and attached runs . they only enter to lay during the day , then re-enter when its time to roost and sleep .

7. wings

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts

What kind of food do they have? I heard that mash is better because it occupies them for longer periods of time. Also, do they get an opportunity to scratch and find tasty treats when in their yard?

8. eastultz

eastultz New Egg

Apr 2, 2008

What kind of food do they have? I heard that mash is better because it occupies them for longer periods of time. Also, do they get an opportunity to scratch and find tasty treats when in their yard?

They don't really have a run, per se, but a whole coop with an elevated area for the perch and nesting box. On the floor of the coop they have deep litter. I bring them tasty treats and vegetable scraps every day. They get let out into the backyard a few times a week, but hubby doesn't enjoy the destruction of the rest of the yard. I guess I may have to let them out more often....

9. Rooster Ray

Rooster Ray Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    South West Michigan
    [​IMG] I had the same problem when I used Hay when I changed to straw they stopped eating it. I still buy them a small bag of Alfalfa hay as a treat every now and then.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  10. wings

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Sounds like you've got the right idea... Do you have any pictures?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by