1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eating stray feathers?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Norman, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Norman

Norman Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2008
    Ontario
    Every once and a while one of my pullets(14weeks) will pick up a feather from among the shavings and bedding and eat it! Is this normal? THey're on layer ration and have fruit and veggies as treats throughout the day.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It is a source of protein. If you notice feather picking and feather eating alot it is an indication they need higher protein feed.

3. Norman

Norman Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2008
    Ontario
    So should I be feeding a type of suppliment as well as the layer?
    The pullet I see doing it came from a place where the owner doesn't feed ready-mixed prosessed feeds, he only fed a scratch-type mixture of different grains(in addition to free-ranging them). I've only had her for 2 days, so could she be suffering from a protein deficiency from her old place that will right itself now that she is on a balanced feed?

4. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Ahh, that makes so much sense. I hadn't realized why my chickens kept eating feathers last winter, i just figured it was something chickens do--they were on scratch full time and there were no bugs at that time of year. I haven't seen any of this behavior in the past few weeks since my girls all went on layer/chick feed. they also get my free-range time and the grasshoppers are plentiful!

5. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Cracks me up when I see one eat a feather! It does not happen very often, but when I first saw that, I tried to figure out if they didi not see/recognize what they were trying to eat. LOL

6. I see a lot of birds gathering them for their nests.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by