Eating stryfoam faucet covers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stonefox10, Dec 30, 2012.

1. stonefox10

stonefox10 New Egg

Dec 30, 2012
    MY CHICKENS ARE RANGE CHICKENS AND THEY LOVE TO EAT MY STRYFOAM FAUCET COVERS, SO I HAD GET CREATIVE TO USE MATERIALS OTHER THAN THE STORE BOUGHT FAUCET COVERS. DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM AND IF SO HOW DID YOU RESOLE IT?

2. phalenbeck

phalenbeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Canton, N.C.
    Stryfoam (or however it is spelled) is clearly a favorite food? for chickens, All you can do is keep it from them, of cover it somehow. Mine lived in a construction zone for a summer and ate all kinds of stuff, and did fine.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    When I first got chickens, I almost panicked when I saw them pecking and eating all the silicone caulk around the garage door. I calmed down after a few days when it was obvious they suffered no ill effects.

Since then, it's been more of a challenge to try to keep the caulk in place than worry. I usually put hardware cloth over any caulking that I want them not to molest. You could use window screen material to put over your faucet insulation. Twist some wire around it to hold it in place.

4. nwredrooster

nwredrooster Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2012
    Oregon
    I had a neighbor who used adult diapers wrapped tightly over the faucet, covered with a plastic bag, and then held in place with tape. It seemed to work well for him. Not sure if chickens would try to eat the plastic bag/diaper.
    Mine too have eaten a little Styrofoam. Hard to say your eggs are organic when you know they are sneaking Styrofoam on the side[​IMG].

5. HouseCat

HouseCat Chillin' With My Peeps

I know what you mean. I spend all this money so that they can have the best feed and they love nothing more than chasing down packing peanuts and eating them. I have one wall in the coop that I used Styrofoam boards to insulate it. The hens had buffet with that wall! I went out and got a bundle of Burlap and covered up all the exposed styrofoam on property. I find out everytime they find a new source whenever they start pooping bright green!
    It must go right through them though because I've never had a sick hen because of it and there were a few times their crops were packed full of the stuff.

6. The things a chicken will eat! I've seen them eat rhubarb leaf, straw, rotten wood, etc. Good luck with the faucet covers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by