1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eating styrofoam

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Zinny74, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Zinny74

Zinny74 New Egg

Dec 9, 2015
    Hi All,

I got home from work today to fined that the local Pink and Gray Galahs have been breaking up the Styrofoam in my shed roof and dumping it on the ground. Off course my ducks have been eating this Styrofoam any opportunity they get. I have vacuumed it up as much as practical but the ducks do a better job of this than i do.

This is obviously not great but now that it is cleaned up do i need to worry about the ducks?

Cheer's,
    Zinn

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    I wouldn't. Chickens are just as addicted and they don't suffer any consequences.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I truly don't know all about that, but if I ever get concerned about my ducks eating something questionable, I add a quarter teaspoon of food grade activated charcoal (it's a supplement) to a pint of water and give that to them to drink from overnight. Activated charcoal absorbs toxins.

Remember, not the briquettes - those are nasty - it's the activated charcoal found in health food stores and drugstores.

Can you cover the styrofoam so that the Galahs cannot get to it?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. revans2003

revans2003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2015

X2 and I would keep an eye on them for a day or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by