eating the bedding

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bschafer5, Oct 16, 2014.

1. bschafer5

bschafer5 New Egg

Aug 16, 2014
    So our new chicks arrived yesterday and while they're eating their food they are also eating (or trying) to eat the bedding I put down in the brooder. Its aspen bedding. Will this hurt them??

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Aspen bedding? I've never heard of it. I used (and still do out in the coop) pine wood shavings. When they were chicks oh sure, they would peck at the shavings but never actually "eat" any of them. They're just curious and gave them something to do. I think what you're seeing is your chicks pecking at the shavings, tossing them around, etc.

3. LaFarm

LaFarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2014
    Our baby chicks did that a bit too. We had the wood shavings and they would try them out (and anything else they found) to see if they were edible. We didn't have any problems with it.

4. bschafer5

bschafer5 New Egg

Aug 16, 2014
    I should say aspen wood shavings. Same stuff we use for the hamster cage.

5. LanceTN

LanceTN Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2014
    My chicks would attack anything that was a different color then the primary color of the bedding. So any dark pieces would get pecked at, picked up and carried around etc. It was fun to watch and harmless.

Chickens explore their world by pecking at it, so what you're witnessing is totally normal and not risky.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by