1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eating the comb?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by packinaglock, Sep 29, 2008.

1. packinaglock

packinaglock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I have 1 full size rir full sized hen (never layed an egg since I had her). I have 4 bo's 8 weeks old & 4 rir 8 weeks old. About 2 weeks ago my 2 br's got old enough (4 weeks old) to put in the coop along with the others. All seemed alright I noticed they were being pushed a little at feeding time so I made sure to put plenty of food in so they could eat after the others were done. Well this morning I noticed that the br that I thought was a rooster because of his large comb and more pronounced colors, his comb has been chewed off. I am wondering if I should take them back out for a few weeks or what. I am wonderind if it is the full sized hen that is to blame if it is I will be eating her soon because I have been feeding her for months and not one egg. What should I do?

2. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

I would definatly seperate the one getting picked on and then let her comb heal.

3. packinaglock

packinaglock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Do you think a couple of weeks would let him (I think) get big enough to hold his own?

4. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

It really depends. Some breeds grow faster than others. The best guess is when you think they will be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by