1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

eating the eggs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rooster49, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Rooster49

Rooster49 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    I have 6 hens I have raised them from chicks. one of them just started laying brown eggs. one or two a day. Lately after she lays the egg she will peck at it and break the shell. she just started to do this is there something wrong or how can I get her to stop?

2. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    I've never had to deal with this but plenty of other folks on this site have. Until someone comes along to give you advice, if you search "egg eating" on this site you'll find information on how others have dealt with this.

3. FarmingForFun

FarmingForFun Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2012
    The only solution I have heard of other than getting rid of that chicken is to fill an egg with a sharp mustard such as dijon and put it in the box. Once the hen has gotten a taste of the mustard a few times she should stop. I hope that helps.

4. corrae

corrae Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2009
    I've dealt w/egg eating chickens several times. Farming for Fun is right-- mustard does the trick! I blow out an egg--use a pin to prick holes in both ends--make the holes a bit larger.... I fill a syringe (bought at local feed and grain) w/YELLOW mustard--I can't afford dijon--fill the egg full full full w/mustard--and I put some athletic adhesive tape, or a band-aid piece over the holes so the mustard stays in. Wipe the egg off so it looks perfectly normal.....Then put it back in the nest box. I must say, there's nothing quite as satisfying as seeing the expression on the hen's face after she gets a mouthful of mustard. Priceless!

I've been told by others/read on this forum that egg eating is sometimes caused by low protein--you may want to supplement your girls w/some suet, mealworm treats, or add some grower (non medicated) to their laying mash. I buy suet in 5 to 10 lb chunks from the local butcher, put it thru my grinder, and the hens go crazy--especially now in late winter when they're not getting bugs or worms.

You will probably have to repeat the mustard egg trick several times... I had an *addicted* egg eater and it took 3 mustard eggs for her to quit. Much easier on ME than wringing her neck....

Good luck!

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

In addition to the mustard, I would make sure they have oyster shells to eat along with their layer feed. This will improve the thickness of the shell.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Something else that has helped some is tacking up a fabric "curtain" across the upper part of the opening to the nests, if they open in front. Darkening the inside sometimes helps. The definitive solution is rollaway nest boxes. There are several threads here about ways to make them. Here's one:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/464610/front-rollout-nest-box-design

7. OUR hens started do this, we bought some fake eggs, they tried to eat them, few days later, we got an egg! no one ate them! :D try it out, if it doesnt work then you wasted like 4$

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by