Eating the first egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by woodmort, Aug 18, 2010.

1. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Granted, I'm an old-timer on here but my purpose in having chickens is to have a supply of eggs to eat. Excepting when I want to have either my hens or my incubator produce a few chicks, I expect all my eggs to be consumed by humans. The point is, if your chickens are laying eggs, whether it is the first one or the billionth, eat it! Either crack it and scramble or fry it or make a nice omelet--use real butter. If you don't want to do that, wash it, put it in the refrig for a few days then put it in a pan of cold water with a little salt, bring to a boil for 6-8 minutes then immediately put it in ice water for 10, peel it and make egg salad or deviled eggs or just put salt and pepper on it. Whatever, please don't worry that it is going to poison or otherwise sicken you, these eggs are going to be the best you ever had so enjoy!![​IMG]

2. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Or...you could have it bronzed. [​IMG]

3. GermanChick

GermanChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    NW Missouri
    Believe me, I will savor that first egg ...... if it ever comes [​IMG]

4. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Quote:My hero [​IMG]

5. CricketYang

CricketYang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Mason, MI
    Our first eggs were still warm when they hit the frying pan!! with REAL BUTTER!!

6. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I've never had as much fun eating eggs as I do now!

7. cindy99

cindy99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Tioga County PA
    We cooked the first egg and fed it back to Snowflake. [​IMG] She earned it! The rest are for us - and they are so good! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by