Eating too much Oyster Shell?

RanchRichey

Songster
Apr 16, 2016
My girls are 18 weeks this week. They are finishing up their grower feed and no one is laying yet, but I have a few that might be close.
I put out some oyster shell in a separate container for the first time yesterday, and they seem to have eaten quite a bit of it. Should I be worried? I have read that they will regulate their own intake as their bodies need it, but it seems like they ate quite a bit for no eggs.

They might be trying to use it as a grit? I couldn't tell you for sure I filled my oyster shells up same time I switched the cooperation back to layer they didn't touch it for days then one day out of the blue it was half empty. Funny thing was it was a week or 2 after they had been on the layer and the older girls shells had already started to harden back up. I guess all in all it would depend on how much you actually set out and how many chickens you have. But really I would think they should be fine. I have a part of a 2 litter bottle cut off and smoothed hanging from a wall inside the cooperation. It probably holds about 2-3 cups. I need to fill it again but they aren't eating as much now, and I have 12 girls. I haven't noticed anything odd when they have eaten a lot of oyster shell.

Back
Top Bottom