eating undercooked eggs

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by mener6896, May 12, 2009.

1. mener6896

mener6896 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    this may be a silly questions, but I love over medium eggs!!! So does my 11 year old son. There is nothing better than sopping up the yolk with a piece of buttered toast [​IMG]

my question is, how safe is this? I know there is a risk of salmonella, but should I do anything different once my girls start laying and I'm eating their eggs?

I would love to know how to eat my eggs safely!!

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    The chance of getting salmonella from a fresh egg is very slim. If you've been eating grocery store eggs over medium, I wouldn't even worry about eating fresh ones the same way.

3. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Quote:[​IMG] That is the BEST way to have eggs!! [​IMG] Of course I am pregnant now and not allowed to have anything that isn't fully cooked.... [​IMG]

Anyway I remember reading a while back that if you add 1-2tbsp of apple cider vinager per gallon to your chickens water, it will boost their immune system and prevent/reduce salmonella in the chickens. Worth looking into! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  4. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    pregnant or not...dippy eggs and toast has always been a fave of mine...

(dippy eggs...= soft boiled eggs that you can dip your toast in)

5. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Quote:Oooo I like your thinking [​IMG] hehe. I haven't had gooey egg yolk in 4 months now [​IMG] . The time has come for me to rebel! Muwha! hehe [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  6. kingmt

kingmt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    The only other way to fix them is sunny side up & I don't think that would be any safer.[​IMG]

7. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:Oooo I like your thinking [​IMG] hehe. I haven't had gooey egg yolk in 4 months now [​IMG] . The time has come for me to rebel! Muwha! hehe [​IMG]

lol...
    not that I am doubting what any medical professional has to say but some times I think they go over board with some of the warnings now... women have been eating soft boiled eggs forever with no problems...kids have been eating peanut butter forever.... now all of a sudden ooo no you cant eat runny eggs when you are pregnant...ooo no dont give kids peanut butter or fish till after 2 years old...

I am a rebel...I like my eggs runny....i like my steak rare (i mean really rare DH wont eat it..lol)..as soon as my kids could sit up in the high chair i was putting about a tablespoon of peanut butter, or cheese wiz, or anything else yucky and messy on the tray for the high chair and it kept them busy long enough for me to prepare dinner or wash floors. My dad is from the maritimes and you eat fish as soon as you have teeth so good luck keeping the fish and shell fish away from my kids as long as he was around....

8. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    OH, I LOVE runny yolks, but my favorite is poached...SOFT poached. At the local restaurant, they know they better make sure the yolks are nice & runny or I'll send them back. And I rarely send OTHER food back! YUMMO!!! Nice & runny.....

9. jamieneenah

jamieneenah Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Quote:I've had a number of eggs raw that is too high to count. We mix the raw eggs with cream and freeze it into ice cream. Often a couple times a week. We've used our own eggs, eggs from the store, eggs from other farms. Never had a problem. My own research on the subject has led me to form the personal opinion that reasonably healthy people are very unlikely to become ill from eating raw a fresh food like eggs. Seems like there are much higher risks when the food is (likely to) being mishandled like in a fast food setting.

Jamie

10. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Raw eggs can't be bad for you [​IMG] ... I have eaten my weight in them in the form of cookie dough and cake mix [​IMG] ..... it's a terrible habit that my husband yells at me for but so far no probs [​IMG] And a soft poached egg on buttered toast with a nice hot cup of tea [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by