Eating unfertilized eggs after they have been incubated

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by amosygal, Oct 24, 2011.

1. amosygal

amosygal Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    Hi,
    Does anyone know if it is o.k. to eat unfertilized eggs that have been incubated for 4 or five days? and how about a week or more?
    Thanks

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I would never eat an unfertilized egg if it had already been incubated. Now, whether you can or not, I have no idea. I wouldn't think so for the safety of your health.

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I would sure not do so - incubating them at 99.5 degrees....blech. [​IMG] Nope. Wouldn't do it.

4. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

I've taken such eggs and scrambled them in the microwave and fed them to my chickens.

Gail

5. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    You can scramble them and feed back to the chickens or dogs.

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Would I do it? No. Is it unsafe? Not really.

An egg will not go bad unless it has bacteria in it. The incubation temperature is a perfect temperature for bacteria growth and the egg is great food for bacteria, but bacteria have to be present to grow.

Whether the egg is fertilized or not has nothing to do with whether bacteria are present. If the egg is fertile and developing, and bacteria show up at that age, that egg will not hatch. It will go bad and likely blow up in the incubator, exactly the same as an unfertilized egg.

I would not eat it, not because it is unsafe, but because of the YUK! factor. It just does not feel right. Those would be great to feed to a dog or back to the chickens though. Just sniff it before you open it or cook it. If it smells, gently toss it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by