Eating Wasps and Dirt Daubers as they fly through the air???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by akcskye, Sep 17, 2007.

1. akcskye

akcskye Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    My ladies have this bad habit of seeing any happily flying insect passing by...well...snatching it out of thin air and consuming.

A year ago, wasps attacked and killed my first restock of chickens (before I got Billy and the ladies I have now) because there was a nest in the hen house we didn't see and they attacked.

BUT, is it dangerous for them to just pick them, bumblebees, dirt daubers and the like out of the air and eating them? Stinging insects?

What if one's face or tongue gets stung? Do they have allergies to them like we humans can?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  2. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine eat wasps all the time, no prob's. Not sure about the allergy thing, but it sounds reasonable. No 2 peep's or cheep's are alike.

Sorry to hear about your previous flock, I will now keep an eye for nests.....so thanks for the info.

3. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    Mine also eat bumblebees a lot.

My ducks tried to eat one, but spit it out quickly. The duck was fine, but I've not seen them eating bees again.

Not much use in a little anecdotal evidence, but that's all I've seen so far. I wondered the same things though.

Sorry to hear about wasps killing the others.

trish

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    We had a smal wasp nest in the coop with about 15 wasps on it, my barred rock pullets ate them all!

They also like to snatch yellow jackets out of the air.

They are the only 2 out of 13 that do this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by