eating your chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crazyclaire, Jun 9, 2011.

1. crazyclaire

crazyclaire New Egg

Jun 9, 2011
    someone told me that you cannot eat laying hans is this true??

2. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    You certainly can. They may not have as much meat on them as "broilers" would as they are bred to lay eggs not get big. And again, depending on the circumstance, age, etc. They may be better in a stock pot, crock pot or something like that as the meat may be more tough then you would be used to. (the slow cook, crock method will make the meat less tough) That in fact is where many excess roosters end up. Hope this helps.

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

You can eat any chicken - and most any bird.

This is an excellent article talking about eating heritage chicken (home grown, back yard chicken) including ages and some cooking tips: www.albc-usa.org/documents/cookingwheritagechicken.pdf

This
    article is NOT for the fast growing, young cornish rock crosses (meat birds).

4. iluvorpingtons

iluvorpingtons Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2012
    Backstage
    You can, but after about a year they get tough and you can't use them in anything but soup. They don't have as much meat on them, and personally I would never eat mine.They ARE edible, but if you want meat, buy some broilers.

[​IMG]chickenzilla. Not the best food...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by