Eating

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by edwarra, Dec 27, 2014.

1. edwarra

edwarra Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2014
    Is it normal for chickens to eat less after they are broody?

2. chickenman5024

chickenman5024 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2014
    Texas
    Yes that's what I have found with broody hens

3. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    If you mean by "after they're broody", that once they are no longer broody they eat less, then that has not been my experience, they actually eat quite a bit to make up for the time they were broody.

If you mean rather "after once they have become broody", then yes, they will eat very little during their broody phase. They're busy being a chicken mom and will rely upon their fat stores for some of their energy. They will still get up occasionally to drink and eat (a little), but most of the time they're just going to sit there on the nest.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    They eat less while tending chicks but feed intake rockets up once clucking stops even if still with chicks most of time.

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Hi there edwarra

I totally agree with pdirt. In my experience with broody's, once they are no longer broody mine have eaten more to make up for time spent nesting not eating.

Besides being totally committed to sitting on the nest and only taking occasional breaks to eat and drink, nesting broody's also do not need to eat as much as they are inactive and burning up very little energy.

6. edwarra

May 9, 2014
    Okay then let me explain. She went broody about 11/2 weeks ago. She was laying under the deck on her eggs. I would have to pull her out every night and put her in the coop. I think her leg got hurt one night as she has been limping and not eating much. She can stand on both legs and hobbles. I have been giving vitamin b 12 . She is still alert and will sit by the food during the day. I have also been giving oatmeal and yogurt. Just wasn't sure if she wasn't eating because she hasn't been moving much or bc she is not laying eggs

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Are you sure she is not laying eggs because she is broody?

I definitely do not want to be an alarmist but some of the things she is doing, do not sound like a broody. When you mention "sit by the food all day" is the food close to her eggs and she is sitting on them?

She does not appear to be straining at all? Drooping tail?

8. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    This sounds like a bird in distress rather than a bird who is off feed due to broodiness. When you offer the oatmeal and yogurt is she taking it readily or reluctant to take even those treats? How much of those are you giving her? It is possible that her intake of regular feed is off because she is eating/holding out for the treats.

9. edwarra

May 9, 2014
    I usually give her one or the other once. A day

10. edwarra

May 9, 2014
    She hasn't really eaten much oatmeal but gobbles yogurt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by