Ebay be(aware)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gymbeau, Nov 29, 2009.

1. gymbeau

gymbeau Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2009
    West Alabama
    After a misleading ad leading to a disappointing purchase, I put it behind me as a learning experience. While looking elsewhere for eggs, I came upon a picture the seller has in her ad. It seems that the picture is not one of her chickens! She stole/borrowed it from another site.

In communicating my disappointment that the eggs that were shipped were pullet eggs, not the ones in the ad that claimed 'several hatches', she changed the ad. Well now the ad is back to its original 'lies'. (if it's not the truth, it's a lie)

Then there are the gold comet eggs..... you won't get sex links from breeding sex links to sex links!

I have learned some new questions to ask:

What breed are the rooster and hen?

Is this a picture of your actual chicken?

When are the eggs gathered?

Being new at this, I thought I had asked all the right questions, but the fact remains, there are less than honest people out there.

What other questions should one ask?

2. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    owch! I'm sorry about your bad experience! I'd leave a negative feedback if i were you. Misleading/lying is the same thing and she should suffer the consequences. It' seems that you know what to ask though. I think I'd leave ebay be and try our own network here, these people on the forum are always happy to help!

3. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Good questions! Also, if they are selling a purebred, ask if they belong to the breed association. And then look them up! Or join a forum dedicated to the breed you are interested in buying. For example, on the SCNA forum ethics section, members will post about fraudulant ads/photos on Ebay, and you can ask questions WITH CARE; some members sell their own eggs on ebay. Definately ask for pics of the actual parents, and find out for how long those birds have been mated. If they advertise show quality stock, ask where they have shown, and what those particular birds have won. Any vagueness would be a red light.

4. destiny_56085

destiny_56085 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    How many reputable breeders that have show winning stock sell eggs anyway? Buyer beware.... If you want just backyard pets then its a different story.

5. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    If you paid by paypal, I would make a complaint. I believe there is a 'received wrong item' option and you certainly did not receive the eggs you ordered! Also, even if you already left feedback on Ebay, you can leave a follow up comment. These show up right below your original comment, and stands out quite a bit on the feedback page.

6. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Power Seller and 8 year Ebayer talking here...open a complaint with Paypal if the seller does not give you satisfaction. Wait on a feedback for a bit until you know what the end resolution will be. You don't want it to interfere with you possibly getting your money back...you can leave a feedback later.

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I wonder if it's the same person who was using an English breeder's rooster picture (without his knowledge or permission) to sell her birds this summer.

8. did you have any problem paying with pay pal. I bought some books,which is something I rarely do since I discovered Bookmooch and swaptree. but they were supposed to be new from a bookstore, for 99cents. I won and when I went to pay the site disappared(sp).He wanted $40.00 to buy now and .99 to bid on. Hope I didn't get stuck. since NOTHING shows on my ebay page. got an e mail they were being shipped so hopefully its a true site, but didn't realize pay pal had changed so much. marrie

9. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

There is a way to partner with PayPal an they customize there page to look like yours. Its creepy but a lot of big sellers do just that as do some big websites.

10. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Quote:I'd recommend anybody seeing such a page to just log in on Paypal's homepage and Send Money to an email address rather than use such a page. I generally only use Paypal links on Ebay. It's the surest way to be sure the page doesn't have malicious code and that it's ONLY Paypal getting your username and password.

Just remember: just because you *might* be paranoid *doesn't* mean that someone isn't out to get you. A good thing to bear in mind in today's world.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by