eBay buying risks???

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Rookiechookie, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Rookiechookie

Rookiechookie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2016
    Hi

I want to purchase a heat lamp off eBay. But is there any risks?

Could it be a dud and work for a couple of days then break?

Could it be fake like a toy?

Or could it be a fire hazard?

Any replys I would be much appreciated

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    For heat lamps on eBay, just make sure you buy from a good seller.

3. Rookiechookie

Feb 25, 2016
    Since I live in Australia I am buying it of a person in queens land the buyer comes from a pet shop called all pet homes they also sell a lot of there other items on eBay and there doesn't seem to be any complaints so I think it will be alright

4. KeyFlock

KeyFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    You will probably be fine, just so long as it has good reviews [​IMG]

5. Rookiechookie

Feb 25, 2016
    Thanks for your help[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. KeyFlock

KeyFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    You're welcome [​IMG]

7. Yay! I can help with this [​IMG]

I've been selling and buying on eBay since 2011, and have had good and bad experiences with both.

If you learn how to pick a good seller, you shouldn't have to worry about dubs, fire hazards, or fakes. It's up to you to choose your price,
    whether something cheap that will only last one season, or something more pricey but intended to be used over and over for years.

I'll explain how to pick a good seller. I'm going to be using myself and a random heat lamp listing I found on eBay as examples to help explain what I mean.

Here's a link to the example listing:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/301658974219

As a buyer you need to:

1) Check feedback for the seller. This is a good place to start to give you an idea of how experienced the seller is and if people like their service.

Example: reuse2savetheearth (216). This is me. I've sold as a hobby and only been really serious about it for two years out of the time I've been doing it.
    But, my track record is very good (100% positive feedback)

Example: perky_1956 (5690) This seller has a lot more experience than me. They likely have a business and post some of the things from their store on eBay.
    They have 99% positive feedback. With a business, you always get that one ornery customer or a mistake on your part. This is perfectly fine.

I'd stick with a seller in the 90's. There's plenty of top notch sellers to choose from.

2) Read the recent feedback left for that seller.

You can do this by clicking their name. It will take you to a screen with statistics about the seller.

I haven't been doing much business lately, so we'll use perky_1956 again as an example:

They have been doing a fair amount of business with over 400 people leaving positive feedbacks in the past 12 months, and only 5 negative.
    This is good.

3) Tracking Information

Packages should be sent with tracking information (eBay highly encourages all buyers to do this). You can ask if buying from an amateur who doesn't mention if they will
    provide tracking info.

4) Check to see if the seller accepts returns.

You can do this by starting at the page with the item description and photo. Scroll about halfway down and you'll see tabs on the left that say
    "Description" and "Shipping and Payments." Click "Shipping and Payments." A little further down you'll see the heading "Returns."

This seller does not accept returns. So, you are buying the item "as is." It is up to you to read through their description thoroughly, look at the photos
    provided, and ask questions if you have any.

The buyer would still be liable for any damage that might occur if they don't package it well. Or if the item is not "as described," meaning that if they say in
    the listing that the heat lamp has been tested and is working properly, but you receive it and find that it has a frayed cord and will not turn on, they are at fault.

5) Interpreting feedback comments:

Many buyers will leave feedback like "Good communication" - means that the seller is willing to talk with their buyers to get any questions
    answered / problems fixed and respond quickly. Some will say "As described" - meaning that the seller did a good job of describing the defects and you felt
    like you were well informed of the used item's condition and working order.

"Don't buy from this seller!" can be interpreted two ways. Either the buyer did not bother contact the seller to say something like, "I am not happy with my purchase
    because of you did not mention the frayed cord on my heat lamp. I would like to return the item for a full refund." Simply leaving bad feedback and not attempting
    to resolve the problem is an issue seller's often encountered with ornery buyers

OR The seller said no, and eBay had to intervene to get the buyer's money back. In this case, the seller deserves the bad feedback.

"I never received my item!" - From my experience this should never happen unless it's the post office's fault. Most of the time a seller can call the post office with tracking
    information to locate the lost package. I've tracked down some tough packages before. You just have to sit down and make the call. In a worst-case experience, you may
    get a scammer who take your money and doesn't send your item, but this is rare and eBay will give you your money back as well as punish the seller.

6) Professional vs. Amateur

Sellers with more professional item descriptions and who have 10,000+ feedbacks with 90-ish percent positive feedback are usually very safe. They almost always
    accept returns, package things properly, and costs vary depending on if they can sell cheaper because they buy in bulk.

Amateurs sometimes make mistakes (I have and have worked it out with my buyers to correct the mistakes). You can usually tell from their feedback if they
    are a trustworthy seller.

7) Contacting the Seller and eBay Money Back Guarantee
    From your buyer page, you have the option to contact the seller and try to work out any problems between the two of you. Be friendly, most of the time it is a mistake and
    buyers will be willing to correct it.

If not, eBay offers a method to inform them of the problem, they will give the seller a few days to get with the program...then, if the seller is not cooperating or not responding, they
    take it from there. If the seller is found to be in the wrong, you will get your money back.

Feel free to ask more questions. It takes time to learn to navigate eBay's system if you're brand new to it. Happy shopping!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I have experience buying off email. In my case it was houseplants. I check as many of the reviews are humanely possible. In the beginning I got plants loaded with mites, about a dozen tiny plants from a very famous seller - to top it off they all had root mealies - which spread to most of mine - through my ignorance. I ordered several times from UK and I think just a few of them ever lived to blooming. The plants took forever to arrive, never had an insulation with them, were tiny and in poor shape. Ordered because they have some of the hottest new hybrids. Almost every one was not true to type when they did bloom. Finally got smart and no longer bought from across the pond.

People in US sent me pretty much the same garbage - sickly plants, buggy plants, plants that did not bloom true. For everyone that turned out well - probably had a dozen that went to the compost pile.

Decided just to buy seeds and try my luck with that. Got 3 beauties from my first pack of seeds and they produced other good ones for me. Eventually after spending $$$$ to get the,' then rare' variegated plants I got one that survived and did very well for me.

I have been hybridizing for several years- . Used to breed & show dogs, so tend to use dog terms for the plants. In my first litter with the variegated plant I came up with a totally new colorization of blossoms. I stupidly dumped many other thinking they were drab . Eventually some got past me and bloomed and after a few days became gorgeous unusual
    blooms. It was beginners luck. Got a Best in Show winner and much attention after that.

I don't generally take in plants but, will grow from leaves and seeds - which has tremendously reduced the number of problem plants. Even then do mostly my own hybridizing and satisfied with that.

I would ONLY buy non living items from ebay, and not spend much. Know better than to fall for super cheap items with huge shipping charges - uh huh! Wasn't born yesterday.

In my case I found I did much better ordering from folks on a specialty breed plant magazine, have a supplier of pots, etc. I trust and have used for many years.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    PS in regard to seller's reviews, I have determined a lot of customers have much lower expectations than I do., or else the seller just unloaded tjeir culls on me.

10. Rookiechookie

Feb 25, 2016
    Ok I will take that info on board

Thanks for all the the help folks[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by