Ebay egg advice please?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by IdealisticRoo, Dec 8, 2010.

1. IdealisticRoo

IdealisticRoo Chicken Tender

Oct 18, 2010
    Colorado!
    I am trying to hoard some eggs for hatching, so I turned to ebay.

I purchased 5 sultan eggs last wednesday and got notification that they shipped on Friday. I am not a huge fan of eggs sitting around in the postal system all weekend, but whatever.

They arrived today POSTAGE DUE! Only 35 cents due, but I had to wait in line forever to get them as a result. This is after paying $16.00 for the shipping and $6 something for 5 eggs.

However, still not a huge deal, I am sure the seller did not intend to have them arrive postage due. I can forgive and forget for that.

HOWEVER, upon opening the box I find 8 bantam eggs! The listing did not mention Bantams anywhere! It showed a picture of a Sultan in front of a large dog and it sure looks like a normal size bird. I don't want bantam sultans! I am over-run with bantams after ordering Ideals bantam special and they get stepped on, picked on and chased by the normal sized birds that are the same age! I am currently trying to rehome some of the smallest birds, because I cannot stand to see them picked on, and I am tired of having multiple cages and pens for the runts!

So, my question is, how would YOU proceed with this seller?

I wrote to the seller and said "Well, I got the package. It arrived postage due?!?!? I had to stand in line forever at the post office because you paid for a small flat rate box, but did not use a small flat rate box? However, upon opening the box, I find 8 bantam eggs?!?!? No where in your listing does it say that these are bantam eggs! I am not interested in bantams - please let me know how you want to proceed"

Please let me know your opinions, fellow BYC-ers

I consider myself a nice person and I want to do the right thing.

2. IdealisticRoo

IdealisticRoo Chicken Tender

Oct 18, 2010
    Colorado!
    Please be nice when you state your opinion of what I should do... if I am an idiot, please don't tell me that, it has been a rough week... [​IMG]

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Did the listing say LF anywhere?

They may just be pullet eggs though. . . ?

Otherwise, honestly, I don't think bantam Sultans are even that easy to get. Sultans outside hatcheries are rare enough, and in hatcheries I've rarely heard of such. Perhaps they're just pullet eggs? Which still to me is bad business, as they're very unlikely to hatch, let alone hatch out as healthy chicks, but, there's a lot of bad sellers of hatching eggs on Ebay. I just about never look there, really. . . Too many risks and too many liars.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I certainly hope no one calls you an idiot. How rude! I would find out if they are pullet or bantam eggs and ask for a refund. That was not a very well thought out sale by the seller. I have heard a bunch of bad things about Ebay's hatching egg sales lately too.

5. Medicine Man

Medicine Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    Apple Hill
    I would just sell the peeps asap on craigs list and also it is never a good to use marks like this ----> "??!!!?!?!?!?!?!??!!!!!!!??????!!!!"

If I get such an email I say oh somebody is haveing anger issues.

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:I think the OP IS ticked.

7. Medicine Man

Medicine Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    Apple Hill
    Do peple hatch the eggs of pullets? I just do not because I do not let my pullets near a roosty until she is big and strong but besides thise the small eggs is that okay ? to hatch?

8. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Quote:X2

If possible, attempt filing a complaint with paypal to get your money back.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2010
  9. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:X2

If possible, attempt filing a complaint with paypal to get your money back.

Hatch the eggs anyway and see whats inside.

Yes. If the seller will not give you back the money because they are afraid you will hatch them and sell them, return the package to the sender COD.

10. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    The Sultan eggs I've had have always been quite small if the seller didn't state lf then its a bit of a grey area plus you got nearly double what you paid for so thats a bonus. I'd just cut your losses see how they hatch and if they are not suitable sell them on. I've had a run of bad luck with Ebay eggs including crosses, seriously deformed babies which I put down to a genetic problem and the best one was a Guinea fowl egg that should have been a Silkie [​IMG] . I currently have 28 eggs stuck in the postal system due to the snow which has hit us its been over a week since they were posted and no sign as of yet [​IMG]
    I think the lesson to be learned is to always read and re read the sellers info, ask questions to make doubly sure if in any doubt and read the feedback from previous buyers. The best way I've found to get the eggs I want is to ask people selling birds in classifieds usually they will sell eggs if available. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by