Ebay eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mycookoonest, May 29, 2008.

1. Mycookoonest

Mycookoonest Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Hudson Valley NY
    I am waiting on my eggies to come from ebay (hmmm haven't recieved an email saying they shipped) but they should be here Friday or Sat...

How many of you have had luck with shipped eggs hatching?

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I have had 8 out of 12 hatch and I have had 0 out of 12 hatch and inbetween. Good Luck

What kind of eggs are they?

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] Forgot to say WELCOME!

4. LuannKeller

LuannKeller Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Greer, SC USA
    When you get them candle them - look for the air sac - if it is very large that are old and likely to hurt your success rate.

If they have a floating air sac - like a bubble in a level - they have had rough treatment (thanks to shipping) and embryos are likely to die when the bubble gets in the wrong spot via the turning process. Some defy the odds so you can still give them a try.

If they have just a small air bubble in the large end - you've got nice fresh eggs that should do fine.

If you have air sacs off to the side in the majority - they were not turned properly during storage but may still yeild chicks - you just may have to help the little chicks out of their egg because the misplaced air sac could be an issue - your embryos my die during development because they are stuck to one side and not able to fully develop.

Candle with a projector (borrowed maybe) and you will get to see it all very well. On day 5 you can candle again and you should see a little red spider - that's your baby chick and you should be able to hatch the majority of those with the baby developing normally in them.

Happy hatching!

5. NewChickenMom

NewChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    i'm getting a dozen eggs today that i purchased off ebay. once i get the package, i'll let you know how they arrived. [​IMG]

6. tnkinhunting

tnkinhunting Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Welcome! I have up to today had a horrible hatch rate - 1 out of 24 - had a incubator disaster - lid wasn't put back on correctly. I currently have 26 due today - no pips yet....they are in a sportsman cabinet. I have 8 more due to hatch saturday.

Some have great success - so far mine has been rotten - the very best to you!

7. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    I hatched ebay eggs before. I considered it a great success with 11 out of 14 polish hatched under broody hen. On the other hand I bought silkie eggs from a member of the other backyard chickens.com and none hatched. You just never know. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  8. Mycookoonest

Mycookoonest Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Hudson Valley NY
    Thanks Ladies!

I have 12 mutt eggs from my SIL that I've had in since Mon. I don't know how sucessful I'll be. I have a little giant, and an auto egg turner. I've been candling daily, but don't think I've been doing it right LOL! [​IMG]

The ones coming are 8+ Silkies.

The ones I have in the bator now have air sacs but they are about an 1/8 of the way down. Changed from Day 1. I believe I'm on day 3.

I'm so nervous for these little babies!!!!!!:eek:

9. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Hello, and welcome!

I purchased eBay eggs a few months back, received 14, one was bad right off the bat, but the other 13 hatched! I was NOT expecting that!

[​IMG]

10. NewChickenMom

NewChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    well, i just got both of my boxes of a dozen eggs each. out of 24, only one of the eggs was cracked!! they're in the bator now!! wish me luck [​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by