Ebay seller took image off my poultry clubs website

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Black Feather, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Black Feather

Black Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    *Sigh*

Well, the title pretty much says it all. An Ebay seller took a white leghorn pic of my clubs website from the champion row of a show and is selling eggs using the picture.

Does this happen very often? I think this is a bit inappropriate as I believe it to be a misrepresentation of the quality of the flock the eggs are being sold from.

Any thoughts and advice?

Urban Coyote

2. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    You can report them to ebay. Ebay will make them remove the picture or will pull their listing

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    OMG , what a loser! LOL ...I would for sure turn them into ebay and make them remove it. I wonder how many people buy those thinking their chicks are going to look just like it. Did he mention that the pic was not his birds and just a sample picture? That' wouldn't be so bad than.

4. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

We have an ebay store so we are on quite a bit...we see a lot of picture "pirates" out there. I found one last week while looking for sumatra chicks...the seller used pirated pictures from another website. Shame on them.

5. Black Feather

Apr 20, 2007
    I actually emailed the seller asking 'innocently' if the pic was from birds I would get eggs from. I have also taken screen captures of the entire listing. Depending on the answer from the seller will dictate my response.

If they say that 'yes that is a hen I will get eggs from' then I will report them and give them an earful about fraudulent advertising. If they say 'no, that's a picture from another site', then I will simply ask them to credit the picture and put a note on their auction stating that it is not one of their birds. Or, I will ask them to take pictures of their own flock and post them instead.

I think this would be a good course of action?

Man, stuff like this makes me cranky!!

Urban Coyote

6. Black Feather

Apr 20, 2007
    Orrrr.....I could ask them in addition to crediting the pictures properly to make a donation to my poultry club in compensation for using the pictures to sell their eggs [​IMG] Think they'd go for that? *lol*

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I just had this very same issue a week or two ago. Ebay was very slow to respond but they did eventually pull the auction and notify the bidders that the pictures on the auction listing did not belong to the seller. In addition, I contacted Auctiva, who was hosting the pictures and they quickly removed them from the listing. Auctiva acted within a day, where Ebay took almost a week. If you decide to take action to have the pics removed - find out where they're hosted and start there. Also, report it to Ebay, but know you'll get a slow response and a mess of copyright paperwork to deal with to prove they are yours. Good luck.

Jody

8. Black Feather

Apr 20, 2007
    Well isn't that interesting. I wrote a letter to the Ebay seller inquiring about the eggs and if they are from the bird pictured, and this is the response:

"I currently don't have any other photo's as my camera broke. But that is one of my show hens. And yes there is a few eggs from her. Most of them are like her also.

Thanks"

Nice to know how honest people are these days.

Urban Coyote

9. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Quote:Interesting, now what?

10. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I would tell the seller that you know that the bird pictured is from your club. I would notify ebay and they will pull the listing.

Off topic but.... Urban Coyote do you breed rosecombs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by