eBay sellers still selling hatching eggs from avian flu infected areas

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by -Wirth-, Mar 29, 2017.

1. -Wirth-

-Wirth- Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2017
    Northwest Florida
    I have never purchased hatching eggs on eBay, but I do occasionally look on there. The number of people still selling hatching eggs from those areas known to contain chickens with avian flu is high.

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Good catch. Some people seem to somehow not know that AI is in their area of there are stop movements in place, so its good for buyers to be aware (for many reasons).

3. -Wirth-

Mar 14, 2017
    Northwest Florida
    I could just see that as a bad way for it to spread across the country :-/

4. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    Unfortunately most of those sellers are illegally shipping hatching eggs across state lines. Every state has animal import regulations and hatching eggs are considered live poultry as far as import regulations are concerned. The minimum requirement for most states is either NPIP certification or a Veterinary Certificate of Health of the flock that produced the eggs.

(Removed dead link.)

Buyer Beware of anything sold on eBay.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  5. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    That is very true. I bought a lot of eggs via eBay last year. None were NPIP, as I recall, not that NPIP is a fail safe anyway. Just because your flock tested negative eight months ago doesn't mean it isn't infected today.

The link above doesn't work but perhaps it was the same as this

http://www.poultryimprovement.org/documents/StateImportRequirements.pdf

ETA not all states require a NPIP or Vet Cert of Health. For instance here in MD you can either have one of those two things OR get the birds/eggs tested within 21 days. So that puts the responsibility on the buyer, not the seller, and the seller is not doing anything wrong.

6. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    The link I posted contained a lot more information than your link. Unfortunately the person/persons that took over the www. guineafowl.com site has killed off a lot of valuable links. They also killed off all the Frits Farm information so they can advertise their book for sale.

Th other problem with NPIP is that Avian Influenza testing is optional. Many certified NPIP owners cannot ship to VA because VA requires additional testing such as for AI.

I believe that you are mistaken about the import rules for Maryland.

http://tinyurl.com/mu9vofc

"B. Imported hatching eggs shall originate from U. S. Pullorum-Typhoid Clean or equivalent flocks. On request from the Department, NPIP Form 15 or its equivalent shall accompany shipments."

7. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I think that information is out of date. It was updated in January of this year. http://mda.maryland.gov/Pages/AvianFlu.aspx That link says 90 days for testing and it was down to 10 days and now they've increased it again to 21 days.

ETA I just looked at it again and that info on the APHIS site is 2009 information.

ETA again oops I just reread the actual order and it says 10 days BEFORE they enter they need to be tested, if not NPIP-AI already. http://mda.maryland.gov/AnimalHealth/Documents/HPAI-Order-07222015.pdf

1 person likes this.
  8. 6th_Happiness

6th_Happiness Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    Far West Chicago Suburbs
    Is there a map kept up to date anywhere showing where AI (and/or other infectious illnesses of concern) is active?

9. Kyanite

Kyanite Loving Life! Premium Member

May 27, 2016
    SE Idaho
  10. -Wirth-

Mar 14, 2017
    Northwest Florida

That refers to the initial findings in Tennessee only. There have now been 4 states with documented cases of avian influenza in chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by