Ebony, the 'Non-Crowing' Rooster

Peep-Chicken

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 10, 2013
Michigan
Ebony hatched 12/13/14. He was all black, no white spot on his head. Chance he was sex-linked, and this deffinatly seemed plausible when BSL female chest feathers came in. Ebony was so nice, he just wanted to be held as a chick. I started calling him Bestie.

At 10 weeks old, Ebony looked like a pullet, except for the saddle feathers that cans through. I was disappointed, as I already kept two roosters from the December hatch hoping the two could lead my flock of hens. Only a few days later, one of the roosters, Dixon died. My plan for two roosters failed too. I worried there would be too many chickens in a small place. So I gave Fish away, leaving Ebony.

Well, Ebony will be 23 weeks Saturday. Still no manly behaviors. I want fertile eggs! His breed seems to be a BSL crossed with a Jersey Giant.

Pictures of Ebony from today:

Please voice opinions on why Ebony doesn't crow, or anything else.

So at about 3 and half months old the comb was still pretty yellow. That would indicate pullet. I think it's the black penciling on the back feathers that are making you think they are thin, male saddle feathers. She didn't start pinking up until about 4 months old. That's right around when you would expect to see a pullet start to pink up.

I could be wrong about this, but 'his' comb seems small for a 23 week old rooster. And those saddle feathers look too broad and short to be male saddles.

This is my boy at 14 weeks. You can see how thin the saddle feathers are.

I could be wrong about this, but 'his' comb seems small for a 23 week old rooster. And those saddle feathers look too broad and short to be male saddles. This is my boy at 14 weeks. You can see how thin the saddle feathers are.
I totally agree. Ebony looks more like a 10 week old. Your boy is very pretty.

Last edited:
Thanks, he's flaming red in the sunshine. Absolutely gorgeous. I was trying to say that Ebony doesn't look like a rooster. Male saddle feathers are much thinner than Ebony's and should be much longer if it was a 6 month old rooster. The saddle feathers are shaped like female saddle feathers. I think Ebony is a very pretty pullet.

Thanks, he's flaming red in the sunshine. Absolutely gorgeous. I was trying to say that Ebony doesn't look like a rooster. Male saddle feathers are much thinner than Ebony's and should be much longer if it was a 6 month old rooster. The saddle feathers are shaped like female saddle feathers. I think Ebony is a very pretty pullet.

I guess we will see what comes first, the egg or the crow lol.

The saddle feathers are pretty pointy, it's hard to see in that picture.

Spurs may be coming in, although in not too sure.

I have a definite pulley his age and she is smaller and is less red.

Thanks for your opinion!

Back
Top Bottom