Ebony The Queen Has Done Something Unladylike

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ChickenPeep, Jan 13, 2013.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Hello!
    I have a very special little silkie- Cochin cross hen named Ebony. A few days ago, Ebony did something very unusual.
    Ebony and her flock of 2 other silkie hens and 2 OEGB cockerels have been staying in our basement lately due to the cold weather. Ebony is a very social little chicken who doesn't like to be left out. A few days ago, it was just warm enough to let the chickens outside for a few minutes. We went downstairs to find Ebony busy laying an egg. Ebony gave us the possessed death glare that she does as if to say, "don't you dare bother such important work". So we got all the others and took them outside.
    A few minutes later, Ebony started clucking loudly, so I went downstairs expecting to grab Ebony and an egg. A soon as I was in Ebony's sight, she immediately sat down again. She's a pretty weird girl. :D
    Unfortunately, I had to leave after that but my siblings told me the rest of the story. Ebony started clucking loudly again, but this time even louder. Ebony is pretty unpredictable when she lays an egg; she will cluck like a maniac and then stop and sit down again or just quit trying and lay one later. So, my siblings decided to leave her alone. Ebony clucked and clucked and clucked. She wouldn't stop! She tried every noise possible. And then, Ebony tried a noise that she had never thought of before. Ebony crowed. She did it twice, and that definitely got their attention! I am very upset that I wasn't there to hear her crow, but I have been told that it was very long and scratchy, but definitely a crow! :lau :lau

Here is The funky little girl.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a video I made about her a while back.

Ebony is such an exciting little hen that never ceases to surprise us and make us laugh. :)

2. RMo2

RMo2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Ohio
    Too funny! She was saying--- I will NOT be ignored [​IMG]

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] Unladylike- I was called that many times.

4. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    theoldchick- I'm sure we all have at some point. [​IMG]
    By the way, I read your thread about losing Stan but I think I forgot to post on it. I just wanted to say that I'm so sorry that you lost him. Stan the Man was a great guy. I loved seeing your threads about him! There's a saying I saw that said, "Some things bring a light so bright, that the light always remains". [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    That's hilarious. I only let my girls out of their run for a few minutes every afternoon and every once in a while someone is in there laying an egg and they will come flying out of the house, squawking and cackling like, I'm gonna hold this egg in if it kills me but I'm coming out for my free range time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by