EBook libraries?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Aug 13, 2010.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I was given a Sony Reader just recently. It's pretty snazzy, but given the rate at which I read, buying books will get too expensive. Does anyone know of a good online library where I can check out EBooks? My area library only has non-fiction e-titles. New York Public Library has a great selection, but you have to have a NYC address. Same deal on the really big local library that has EBooks. I live out in the boondocks and we have nada in my county.

How do I support this new e-reading habit without breaking the bank?

2. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    hmmm...i do not know anything about the sony reader, but can't you just buy books online from anywhere and for different prices? I mean I own an Amazon Kindle and I can find lots of books for free even, mostly everything costs me around $2.99 or under...depending what I want.

3. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    The Kindle books won't work on a Sony. I can buy books from a number of places. I read a lot though. I would love to find a library so I can just check them out. The budget isn't infinite unfortunately. [​IMG]

4. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  5. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Quote:no, I know the kindle books are just for kindle, but I figured you could purchase books from like barnes and noble and other retailers and similar online places...no? Like I said, not sure, as I can only buy from Amazon, which is a Kindle drawback, but, thats okay with me.

6. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I have found a couple of places to purchase Sony compatible books. I was just hoping to find a library where I could check them out. Oh well. [​IMG]

Ivan- thanks for the links! The Gutenburg link is perfect for the classics.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Have you tried your closest big city library? It would be in the same state.... so they may let you check out books...
    Good luck!

8. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I tried the one in Nashville. They charge $50 for out of county residents. I can buy a lot of books for $50. [​IMG]

The Gutenberg link Ivan posted has all the great classics. I dumped about a dozen on there today. I guess I'll get the educational and intellectual books for free and buy the trashy ones. [​IMG]

9. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    The Internet Archive and Gutenberg have scads of poultry related material (old Standard of Perfections/All of Benjamin Franklyn Kaupp's stuff (his Anatomy of the Domestic Hen is excellent). Also, there is an enormous quantity of downloadable music available on the Archive. If you avoid the novels of Henry James and the like you'll not be disappointed. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by