ECCENTRIC, NORMAL OR......SICK / GAPE WORMS?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by roosmom, Nov 16, 2008.

1. roosmom

roosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    upper peninsula
    I did a search a search about head shaking. The 4 of 9 pages I read all seemed to have actual problems with gape worm and I am not sure this is my problem. That is why I am posting this here.
    I have 44 7 (just about) month old Buff Orpingtons. They are on brown leaves in the ccop and run. They get fed layers crumbles and water with vinegar in it. They get oatmeal, fresh vegies, yogurt and corn as treats now snow has started. Here is my dilemma.
    My ROO.....yes he is a rooster lol. He OCCASIONALLY shakes his head. No other symptoms. His poo is fine, no sneezing or runny nose, no open mouth breathing. This has been going on for at least three months. I waited for it to go away, but it hasnt.
    So I am wondering, does anyone else have this happen?
    If it is gape worms, can I see them in the throat?
    Is this just a twitch?
    I am hoping this is something simple everybody has went thru. Please let me know.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Could be ear mites or some pest, but roosters have that Stevie Wonder thing going on and will just shake their heads. I think it's that their wattles itch, LOL.

3. AilsVonHelson

AilsVonHelson Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    Orlando, FL.
    my OEGB pullet does the same thing, no symptoms of anything also, i'm kinda curious to see what it is. My agriculture instructor said it's normal, but i'm not quite sure. :|

4. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    I think all of em do it every once in awhile. I have noticed, though, that a LOT of birds do it at shows....which has made me wonder if stress has something to do with it, or dander in the air, or......

5. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Pooh! I was just really noticing this last night with my girls- a lot of head shaking.

I had one laying in my arms trying to sleep and she kept shaking her head suddenly like she had something tickling her. I looked very closely, thinking it may have been fleas or mites or lice, or cooties, but nothing there except pretty, yellow chicken skin. It freaked me out a little.

What other causes can be associated with this?

6. Solace

Solace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Rutherford County, NC
    I have one cochin cockrel that goes wild doing a head scratch if I pick him up. Once I put him down it's like he goes wild scratching his head for about a minute. He doesn't have any mites or anything, not sure why he's doing it. I figure he has something neurological going on. He's done it since he came out of the egg.

7. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

I have one cochin cockrel that goes wild doing a head scratch if I pick him up. Once I put him down it's like he goes wild scratching his head for about a minute. He doesn't have any mites or anything, not sure why he's doing it. I figure he has something neurological going on. He's done it since he came out of the egg.

[​IMG] Maybe he thinks he caught cooties fm you!​

8. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I've always wondered why somechickens will shake their head.My rhode island red shakes his head too.I checked for parasites but found nothing.I guess its normal.He shows no signs of any disorders.

9. Solace

Solace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Rutherford County, NC
    Quote:[​IMG] Maybe he thinks he caught cooties fm you!

You may be right. He does do his lil rooster dance towards me when I open the coop when I change water.... Hummm.....

10. roosmom

roosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    upper peninsula
    I noticed last nite that he breathes mostly with his beak slightly open. Most of the time. Are these related? Can you see gape worms? If you look in the throat?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by