eco 20 (brinsea) and incubating turkey eggs

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by spish, Apr 6, 2012.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    so ive been reading up on incubating turkey eggs and there seems to be conflicting advice out there about the use of the brinsea auto turner with turkey eggs.....also over the position of the eggs in the 'bator.

can someone tell me how best to place them in the incubator (on their side/big end raised,/small end raised?) and should i turn them by hand or is the auto turner ok to use?

2. zekii

zekii Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    New Hampsha
  3. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    ive had a fiddle round and managed to fit in 18 lying down.....so if i stand them up with large ends up i *should* be able to fit in more?
    *runs of to try....*

i wasnt sure if they had to be flat the whole incubation or just to hatch.... :)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

LOVE LOVE LOVE your setup! :thumbsup

5. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

X2
    large ends up & auto turner on

I used to love my Brinseas.. but with the sorry customer service and the rate that their products break down.. well.. lets just say they aren't my favorites anymore

6. zekii

Nov 1, 2010
    New Hampsha
    So what are you using now for an incubator?

7. yinepu

i'm still using two of the three Brinseas for now... I have to watch them like a hawk though.. which is a royal pain.. as soon as it starts to get hot outside they will be retired.. probably to a yard sale or the dump

emu eggs are in a modified LG.. it's the only thing I will use the LG for.. so as soon as the last 4 are out it will be cleaned and stored until next year

my main bator is a Reptipro 5000.. I have turkey eggs peeping at me now that are in it and ready to hatch any time .. as soon as they are out I have more turkey eggs and some mutt chicken eggs ready to move over into it.. I'll be using it all summer for the rest of my hatches

8. zekii

Nov 1, 2010
    New Hampsha
    So I take it you like the Reptipro ? I may consider a larger incubator if I get into hatching more, but I just bought another Brinsea, so far I haven't had any issues with my Octagon-20 ECO, I just bought a Octagon Advanced 20-ECO.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  9. yinepu

I love my Reptipro... some people have had problems figuring out the temperatures.. but they just make it harder than it needs to be.. just figure out where you want the shelf.. set the digital temp.. let it heat up then check the temperature at shelf level.. and adjust it from there.. i've seen a lot of people use the temps that you would incubate at for still air and then complain that their eggs didn't hatch.. well.. it has fans.. so no idea why they insist that the shelf temp needs to be so high.. i go with 99.5 at shelf level for turkeys.. then drop the shelf down one level for them at lockdown.. which gives the perfect temperature gradient for them to hatch.. I've done staggered hatches of chickens and turkeys in the bator at the same time with 0 issues.. even had emu eggs do great in it..
    one of the things I love most is that it also cools.. so when the house temperatures hit over 100 in the summer I don't have to set up an array of fans to try to keep the bators from overheating!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by