Eco Glow over Heat Lamp?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by flo12345, Mar 10, 2014.

1. flo12345

flo12345 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    I've used heat lamps for my chicks for the past 3 years. I was reading about the Ecoglow today and it looks really easy to use. What do you guys think? I'm always nervous with the heat lamps. I always worry it'll fall while I'm not home.. [​IMG]
    Tell me what you think about the Ecoglow please! I have some questions about how to use it too.
    Thanks!
    flo12345

2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

The EcoGlow is wonderful and much safer if you're brooding in a space where temps are above 50˚F. HOWEVER, if it will be colder than this, the EcoGlow doesn't produce enough heat to keep the chicks warm.

I just went back to using red 250W bulbs and they are working great--you just have to have the safest setup possible to make sure they don't start a fire.

3. flo12345

flo12345 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Thanks! I usually raise my chicks in the house so they should be plenty warm. I think I'll stick with my heat lamp for this year and try the ecoglow next spring :)

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Premiere makes one now too...there are here's a thread
    There's another discussion about plates vs lamps, but I can't find it.

5. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
  6. henless

henless Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm using a Premier heat plate in my brooder which is set up outside in my husbands unheated shop. A week ago we had temps down in the low 20's, the shop was showing 29 degrees. My chicks have been doing fine.

7. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    WOW, that's good info.
    No frozen water?
    Can you post a pic of brooder with plate here?

8. henless

henless Chillin' With My Peeps

I'll post the pics I posted in the other thread that was taken last week.

These pics were taken the morning after we had rain/freezing rain/sleet come through our area.
    These are my 21 chicks under the Premier heat plate.

[​IMG]

Here they are after I pulled the curtain back from the top of the brooder. There are no windows in the shop, so I have a lamp on for them to see by. It has one of those energy saver bulbs in it, so gives off no heat.

[​IMG]

This is a pic from the day before our cold front came in. Temps were in the upper 60's I believe? Texas has wild weather, lol! Obviously they weren't needing much from the heat plate, except for the youngest ones. So they were sitting on top keeping it warm. :)

[​IMG]

This is the brooder they are in right now. It's a watermelon box from Wal-Mart.

[​IMG]

I almost have their in coop brooder finished. I should be moving them into it by this Friday. We've had several periods of below freezing weather since I've gotten my chicks. The water in the box has never frozen. The water outside in my dog's bowls have frozen. I had to go outside several times and break the ice for them to drink. We had a couple of days in a row that the temp never got out of the 20's. My Premier has done really well.

If the heat plates are supposed to be like a "mother hen", then why do you need the ambient temp in the 50's? If you have to have the surrounding air at such a high temp, then whats the purpose of the heat plate? I didn't see anything on the Premier site about ambient temps, so I just assumed it would work by itself. [​IMG]

9. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I think Brinsea is the one who cites the 50 degree ambient, but not on their website just in the fine print that comes with the plate....I think it's a CYA.

Every situation is different, might work for some and not others, also could depend on age of chicks.....your covered brooder probably helps retain some heat from the chicks and plate to above freezing or your water would freeze.

Nice brooder setup can't wait to see them in your coop brooder!

10. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by