Eco-Insulation

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by otto, Nov 1, 2007.

1. otto

otto Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2007
    I plan on insulating my hen house by stapling free burlap from local micro brews and coffeehouses over the studs and then stuffing straw behind the burlap. Must say, I'm pretty proud of this idea, unless that is folks see a problem with the burlap, figured it was better than plastic, which I'd never use

2. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    two issues I can think of..

very flammable
    very dusty

3. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:I love the idea of not using plastic but I'd worry about critters living in it.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I like the idea. I really do. But I am thinking mice and other small critters will take up residence in there and once you get an infestation it will be a lot of work to get rid of them.

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    What about using straw stuffed inside garbage bags then put into the bulap?

6. skatcatla

skatcatla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    Have you considered hemp instead of burlap?

7. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    if the straw is loose and moisture gets in it'll start rotting.

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    You'd need a way to keep the straw completely dry. Also a way to keep the chickens from bumping into and pecking at the burlap thus releasing huge clouds of dust and whatever mold grew from incomplete dryness. Also also, a way to be really darn sure that mice can't get into the straw where they will otherwise make a merry mess and turn into ten thousand mice. I'm not sure these things are going to be real do-able.

If you are really set on using straw and no plastics, what about stacking a bunch of straw bales all around the OUTSIDE of your coop, up to the eaves almost. Mice will still move into the straw and things will still get moldy and dusty, but it'll basically be on the OUTSIDE of the coop, where it won't bother the chickens so much.

Good luck,

Pat

9. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    The rats and mice will thank you. As it rots down, the sneezing coughing birds will not.

Unless you're raising these birds in the artic circle, they don't need insulation.

10. TerrasCritters

TerrasCritters In a new coop

Oct 24, 2007
    What would you all suggest using???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by