Eco Red Shield Lumber? Yay or nay for the coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by handsomecock, Aug 21, 2013.

1. handsomecock

handsomecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY, USA
    Ok so me and a pal here on the boards are expecting our chickies next week. Brooder is rtg, but we want to get started on the coop. Our local Home Depot carries this flame retardant, mold retardant, red lumber called Eco Red Shield. Would whatever chemicals are used to treat this be harmful for the chickens? Heres the website. All advice is greatly appreciated.

http://www.ecob.net/index.php?p=products&id=100

1 person likes this.
  2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    It is not clear from the manufacturer's website what is used to treat the lumber. The MSDS lists only wood and wood dust as being hazardous. So apparently, there is no chemical active in the treatment of the wood. Based upon the available information or lack thereof, it should be safe for chickens.

The company has an interesting marketing approach.

Chris

3. handsomecock

Aug 9, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY, USA
    Thanks man. I was just leaning towards pressure treated lumber, but then stumbled across this which happens to be less expensive as well. Win win?!

4. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I wasn't aware of the cost. I tend to use the least expensive materials when building a coop. A good foundation, good coat of paint, and a roof should keep one going for many years. Many times things are sold as the solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

Chris

5. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
    Very interesting. Looks safe to me. I will have to see if they carry this locally. Thanks for posting about it!

6. handsomecock

Aug 9, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY, USA
    I hear ya...

7. handsomecock

Aug 9, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY, USA
    No problem...

8. Bobafett

Bobafett Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2013
    Colorado Springs
    I myself would not. I do a lot of different work involving various materials and the red lumber is just Home Depots version of pressure treated from anywhere else. They claim it to be lighter in weight...which it isn't to any noticable degree. When cutting it I take the same precautions I do with anything else that isn't found in nature. While it may be better than the old pressure treated (which contains arsenic) it still has to have some type of treatment. If you want water resistance I would stick to natural woods that are suited for outdoor use (redwood, cedar, etc.). Just my thoughts...

9. handsomecock

Aug 9, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY, USA
    Ok, noted. But the company also claims for this to be mold and fire resistant. Did you see the video on the website? Huge dif on the flammability. I plan on installing a roof and shingling the walls as well.

10. Bobafett

Bobafett Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2013
    Colorado Springs
    Yeah...the resistance to fire and mold is good, but it had to get that way some how...just means more chemicals in my book :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by