eCoGlow and the move to coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jmtcmkb, Sep 18, 2011.

1. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    A question for those who have used the eCoGlow regarding transition to the coop in cold weather. My chicks are coming next week, we will use an eCoGlow in the house brooder, what do I do when we move them outside? It will be very cold here 20-30 lows in the evening and 50 day time temps.

Should I use a red lamp or continue with the eCoGlow? I know the ecoglow says not for outdoor use, but I am guessing that means dont expose to the elements, rain, wind snow etc.

2. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    My barn brooder is wooden. Enclosed on all sides so no draft. The top is wire doors to access food, water & change bedding. It is inside a covered area but not heated since it's a barn. I use Eco glo brooders when little in my inside brooders then depending upon age and moved to the bigger barn brooder I may put the Eco glo warmers in the barn brooder on a deep shavings. The peeps sort of dig it out but make a nice area to stay warm if needed. Once fully feathered they should be able to regulate their body temps and will not seek the unit for warmth but sleep outside it or just use it as a perch

3. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:So you think it will be fine to move the ecoglow out to the coop when the time comes ( 5 or 6 weeks )and they choose if they want to use it or not. I dont really want to use a red lamp and would rather use the ecoglow outdoors as well.

4. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    That's what I do with mine, move the chicks and the EcoGlo to the barn brooder. It can't get rained on since the brooder is totally covered. It sits next to my chicken feed bins. I switched from the red lamps earlier this year as I added the EcoGlo units and it's worked for me and our weather can get damp and chilly due to the rain. When they use it more as a perch and less as a warming place for sleeping then you know it's time to remove it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by