Ecoglow Brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by what did I do, Mar 1, 2013.

1. what did I do

what did I do Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Montana
    I bought an Ecoglow 20 brooder and I'm wondering how it works. It doesn't seem to have any thermostat to adjust the temperature. Can you use it in a colder space, like a garage? (we can still get temps well below 0 and snow ) Can I put it in a somewhat closed in space like a tub with a lid on it with vents.

I will be hatching eggs at a nursing home and they have a cat.

If you have any ideas for a brooder box that would be easy to see into and take chicks out of please let me know. These other ladies are really getting into this. It is a 4-H project. They have already announced it on the radio and paper - small town. I was thinking of kids and old ladies and old men. I'm starting to stress over this. What did I do!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  2. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    The Ecoglow works like a hen -- chicks in direct contact with the underside to warm and rest. It isn't recommended for use where air temps dip below 50F, though. I'm sure the intended market is people brooding in their heated home. I was seriously considering one until I realized that it would be June before I could use it in an outbuilding.

Oh, and you didn't say how many chicks -- what about a very big plastic storage bin? Just vent the lid with a wire panel.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  3. what did I do

what did I do Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Montana

My incubator holds 42 eggs but I don't plan on using it for more than a week.

I was thinking of just altering the plastic bin I have and use now but one of the ladies wants to get a special feeder. If she can find the feeder it would make it more like fish tank type viewing. To me they are just chickens and don't need anything special.

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN

How many eggs are in a week??? The E20 is for up to 20 chicks so I wouldn't set more than 20 eggs unless you have a backup plan for any surplus chicks.

5. stake

stake Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    Malvern, pa
    Hi:

I was able to use a laundry basket. My six are a week old and I just moved then to a dog crate. I think I could've gotten another few days out of the basket though.....Last night one of my chicks squeezed through the caging of the crate(largest made) so I lined the sides with cardboard....hope this helps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by