1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

EcoGlow Chick Brooder and Brooder Area

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fasschicks, Nov 11, 2014.

1. fasschicks

fasschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2013
    South Central Wisconsin
    I wanted to get some opinions from folks who have used the EcoGlow Chick Brooder (20 and 50). I plan to raise between 5 and 10 chicks on any given spring. I wasn't sure how long I should be using the EcoGlow and which size EcoGlow I should use. I plan to get chicks in late March/early April (Wisconsin weather) and keeping the chicks in our house until they are 4 weeks old. At that point, move them outside.

This is what I was thinking as far as a setup at 4 weeks old when I transfer the chicks to the chicken coop. I don't have a huge coop (6x7), but was thinking that when the chicks were 4 weeks old (give or take), I would make a brooder in my chicken coop. Below are some pictures to get the idea of what I am planning. I plan to put a big poop board with Sweet PDZ (about 3 feet from the back to the coop out to the window at about the same height as the lower roost (28 inches from floor). Then I plan to build a cage just below that at approximately 3 ft. deep x 5 foot wide. This would give the adult chickens 18 inches to go in/out of the coop pop door (left back wall) while still keeping the chicks safe behind wire framing. Does this make sense?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I plan to make the brooding area removable so that during the year when I don't have chicks, then the adult birds have more space. I figured it wouldn't be too bad cutting their floor space a little for 1-2 months or so while brooding? I am not sure if the 3x5 space is enough for 5 chicks to brood out?

This is my first time and want to be sure that the chicks and adult girls have plenty of time to be around each other but not touching before they are big enough to be on their own in there. Would love any tips, etc. if anyone has it. The only other alternative is to put the brooder on the left side and that could end up being 5 x 3 also - just turned in a different direction. I figured that under the roost would be the best place since it will have the large PDZ poop tray as the ceiling. At what approximate age could all the girls be consolidated together? I know I want to keep the chicks in the brooder area for at least a month, but since I have never raised chicks before, I have no guess as to their size at 8, 12, or 16 weeks old.

Wendy

2. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    I bought the 20. It's waaaay too small IMO. My 13 chicks were too big for it in a week. So get the 50, or get a Sweeter Heater. I just got one of the latter on Saturday (the 40" one) and the chicks are sooooo happy.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  3. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    I had the Eco 20 brooder for 4 chicks. At about one week of age they were spending more time on it than under it. However, it was an auxillary brooder set up in a large moving box and did the job in a pinch. It could've had maaaybe a chick or two more, but the chicks got big fast. Ended up putting a sheet of shelf liner on it to deflect all the chick poop.

4. HighStreetCoop

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    Oh, yeah. The poop. Mine is covered in duct tape. I have to wipe it down/off daily.

5. fasschicks

fasschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2013
    South Central Wisconsin
    I have never heard of the Sweeter Heater before. I see that the wattage goes up quite a bit on the larger ones. Is it as safe as the EcoGlow? I plan to put it close to pine shavings and wanted to be sure that it wouldn't start anything on fire. Also, it seems that it is warmer than the EcoGlow. I assume I would put it a little bit higher than the EcoGlow first level for chicks?

Wendy

6. HighStreetCoop

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    Plenty of pics on their site of chicks using them. It only gets to 180 degrees, so you're not going to start a fire with it. I have roosts in the brooder and the chicks can decide how close they want to be to the heater. They were already using the roosts quite a bit, but it has REALLY gotten them all roosting regularly rather than nesting down in the shavings. I hung it at the top of my brooder (so it's ~20" from the bottom and about 12" from the roost). I also left the EcoGlow 20 in the brooder in case the smaller chicks still want to go under it at night.

From their site:

[​IMG]

7. lm84

lm84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2013
    New Jersey
    I used the ecoglow 20 to raise 14 chicks and it was just fine. I feel it is way more natural than blasting them with a heat lamp. Did they grow super fast? Sure, but they were never all under it at the same time, and by the time they didn't fit under it, they didn't seem to care or need it. I felt like they would run under it for a few second and come right back out to explode, much like if it was a mother hen. I wasn't worried about the temps or how many weeks they were supposed to be at a certain temperature. Every single chick thrived and I even raised 5 more with it after that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by