econd chick hatcheing please help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Berynn, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    I have my second chick hatch it is almost a half way out. The other chick that is out rolled its she over causing the hatcling to break the shell face down, should I leave it alon or try and shift the shell back to the way it was before the chick banged in to it. I could shift it back with a skinny object that I could fit into the vent, but not with out your input

2. countryentertainment

countryentertainment Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2007
    Mass.
    Wait and watch at least an hour or two to make sure it is struggling to get out, if it is it should be fine.

3. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    it is still moving, but before the chick that already hatched banged in to it, it was working its way down, if you have a camera cell phone I can e-mail you a picture

4. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    It should be fine. Chicks sometimes have to go around the egg twice to break completely out so it doesn't matter if it was working it's way up or down. I would give it some time and it should pop out without problems.

Richard

5. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    the other chick keeps poking at the hatching egg

6. countryentertainment

Feb 24, 2007
    Mass.
    the other chick is all right it will encourage it to keep trying

7. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    That is normal too. As each chick come out the older ones will peck at them as well. Once the chicks start moving around the incubator they can wind up moving the other eggs around, rolling them all over the place. This will not cause a problem either. Try to relax and enjoy the process.

Richard

8. countryentertainment

Feb 24, 2007
    Mass.
    If it really bothers you to watch try reading or doing something for an hour and then coming back to look. They may be small but they can take a lot bumps with out being hurt at all. We had 24 eggs in our incubator you should have seen it when there were 10 chicks running around bumping into eggs and each other, but they were all just fine.

9. Bantymama

Bantymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    MN
    I remember my first hatch. I was a nervous wreck with that and thought that the rest would not hatch because the others we playing soccer with the unhatched ones. They should be find.

10. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    They are tough little creatures...it's fine......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by