economic size bird/eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jeffsmith13, Oct 9, 2013.

1. jeffsmith13

jeffsmith13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    Billings ,Mo
    Hello all,
    I have Araucana hens that arent very big but lay a good size egg. I believe them to be very economical for the size of egg they provide. I free range them alongside my Dominique chickens and neither require much in the way of pellets. Are there other breeds of small stature that produce a relatively large egg given their size. I'm interested in birds that have some predator sense and know how to forage. I have read that bantam welsummer may produce a good egg for its size.
    Thanks,
    Jeff

2. The description of attributes you have given could certainly point to 2 kinds of chickens in my mind. White and Brown Leghorns. Both have great ability to escape predation and are expert flyers. Both can forage for most of their feed intake in a free range arrangement. Though they are small birds they lay larger eggs than most chickens from the start. Second year eggs can be extra large. White eggs of course.

Wish ya the best.

Phil

1 person likes this.
  3. jeffsmith13

jeffsmith13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    Billings ,Mo
    Thanks Phil

4. ebifish

ebifish New Egg

Sep 20, 2013
    I remember having bantam cochins, they are small, lay a decent size egg. they could forage just fine, but they were lovers. total lovers, not that great at defending themselves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by