Economic Times

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mjdtexan, Jan 22, 2009.

1. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    The economy is off a little and it seems likely to get worse now. It makes me wonder if livestock (chickens) are going to get more popular as a result of this. It also makes me wonder if the demand for products related to livestock such as feed, feeders, fenceing, etc are going to become more affordable due to demand? That could be a slight bonus to us that are attempting to raise our own food.

MJD

2. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Quote:I hope so....the prices here in the UK are dreadful for all livestock feed.....including chicken feed.......an bog standard bag of layers pellets is £8.00 per bag.....a bag of cut maize is £9.50 a bag...and these are 20k bags..not that big......a bag of shavings for the nest boxes (I use straw on the floor ) (25k) is £7.99 per bag......I won't mention the rest...then I realise how much it really costs to keep my flock......Just thought, organic layers (2.5k) is £5.00 ....glad I don't use that....

3. mjdtexan

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Quote:I hope so....the prices here in the UK are dreadful for all livestock feed.....including chicken feed.......an bog standard bag of layers pellets is £8.00 per bag.....a bag of cut maize is £9.50 a bag...and these are 20k bags..not that big......a bag of shavings for the nest boxes (I use straw on the floor ) (25k) is £7.99 per bag......I won't mention the rest...then I realise how much it really costs to keep my flock......Just thought, organic layers (2.5k) is £5.00 ....glad I don't use that....

[​IMG] I have no clue what those prices reflect. [​IMG] I do get your meaning though.

One 50 pound bag of starter/grower is costing me $11 a bag. I think I saw that the laying pellets were a little cheaper though.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  4. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    I had been paying 12.50 for the gamebird blend that I feed all of my chickens, other than those on starter, at my local feed store. Last week, I drove the 30 minutes to the feed store where this feed is made, and saved over $2.00 per bag, because I bought 10 bags. I also bought my horse feed there, because the more you buy, the more your price goes down, so I saved on it also. I though this was pretty cool. Shop around, it may be worth it. All I did was call this place to find out how much money I would save. With this crazy economy, we can use all the help we can get!

Oh, MJD, I checked out your brooder on your page. Really nice, I think I need to get hubby to build me one of those. Cute painting, too.[​IMG]

Paula

5. mjdtexan

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Quote:Thank You. My Mother did (and does by the way) the art work by the way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by