EcoTop counters for our kitchen?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by princess araucana, Oct 22, 2009.

1. princess araucana

princess araucana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Any one use them? i think they are pretty new. We are thinking of getting them, wondered if anyone ever heard of or has some?
    They seem very cool, made of recycled wood and bamboo....

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I don't know anybody that has brand, but good for you for considering them!

We have our own green furniture/sculpture company. I have done tons of research into green products. To be honest- I am not a fan of bamboo, unless it's grown in the US, which most likely it is not.
    If you truely want something eco-friendly- don't be afraid to ask where the materials came from and where it was manufactured.

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    HappyMtn, your furniture is gorgeous!

4. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    My husband had installed granite counters and recycled glass countertops... I thought the recycled glass ones were AMAZING! That would be the way I'd go.

As for wood tops... they are gorgeous, but they make terrible work spaces and are typically just for show!

5. princess araucana

Nov 18, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Quote:good point! Very true about where things come from. I agree, there are some green buzz words out there that get overused and lose their integrity.
    This stuff is made by the guy that invented PaperStone which seems like good stuff, all from recycled paper.

6. princess araucana

Nov 18, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Quote:I LOVE the recycled glass! But way out of our budget unfortunately....

THis stuff, I believe, has more the look and feel of a Corian solid surface than of regular wood. Someone said they were carrying it as an eco option to Corian.
    and I read somewhere a 5' x 12" sheet weighs 400 lbs!

7. princess araucana

Nov 18, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Quote:WOW, yes it is! I am really in love with your banquet table and I love that table top with those biscuit joiner bits in it.

And is that a geo dome chicken run?! We have been planning one of those forever but have not yet gotten to it! (One of these years we want Alpacas too!)

Kudos to you living the dream!!

All the best!

8. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:WOW, yes it is! I am really in love with your banquet table and I love that table top with those biscuit joiner bits in it.

And is that a geo dome chicken run?! We have been planning one of those forever but have not yet gotten to it! (One of these years we want Alpacas too!)

Kudos to you living the dream!!

All the best!

Thanks [​IMG] That is a geodesic. It was practice for our house, but then it was a garden, and duck/chicken run. We dismantled it this spring- wasn't making the best use of space on the ground.

Have you checked out Green America? Used to be Co-op America. They have links to eco-friendly businesses of every kind. Sometimes you get a discount if you go through their site. http://www.greenamericatoday.org/pubs/greenpages/ [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by