Edenhope Farms New Member

edenhope farms

Hatching
Nov 5, 2015
Hi everyone,
I am new to this site but have been raising chickens for about 8 years. We had a hurricane about a month ago and since then none of my chickens are laying. We went from 2 dozen eggs to 1 egg a day. What is going on???

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Stress will stop birds from laying. If they aren't comfortable and have experienced trauma, they can stop for a while. This is also a slow time of year for laying due to the shorter daylight hours. Some breeds will continue to lay on a slower basis and others can stop all together. You can try adding light to the coop to extend those daylight hours. 14 or 15 hours of daylight should kick start them into laying, however ALWAYS provide at least 8 full hours of total darkness for proper health. 24 continuous hours of light will kill them.

Good luck and I hope you can get all this figured out soon!!

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Like TwoCrows said, stressed, unhappy, unhealthy or uncomfortable birds = no eggs. Make sure they have food, water, calcium, a safe, quiet area to lay eggs and plenty of room to roam around. This time of year hens will slow down anyway due to the darker days and colder temps.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on TwoCrows; the stress of the hurricane has put them into shock. With good care and a stress free environment, they will begin laying again. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

If they haven't been laying for some length of time, they do not need layer feed or crushed oyster shell until they start up again. Otherwise they can have an overload of calcium that isn't needed for shell production.

Back
Top Bottom