Edibility of Meat after Injury.

Cuban Longtails

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast Texas
I have an approximately 5 month old RIR cockerel that decided to squeeze himself through the rusty remains of a spring mattress. He hooked his wing and was stuck for awhile (a couple of hours, as we can best guess) even though he tried to continue to push himself through.

He's injured, a cut right at the wing joint - flayed the skin open, but when we freed him he was running around and acting as if all was well. Would it be best to heal him before processing (he is a cull, regardless) or go ahead and process him? Do you believe the edibility of the meat was affected by the rusted mattress?

If he is to be culled do it now so that he is in no more pain. The rusty matress will not affect the meat, I would just not use that wing. JMO Jenn

I agree with Jenn, go ahead and process before he DOES have some infection or soemthing set in and you CAN"T eat him. Just throw the wing out and eat the rest. I wouldn't be scared to him, that is if I did eat chicken.

Thanks! I was hoping it would be okay.

Good point, KristenH, about the infection. I was also concerned about that possiblility.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom