Edible Figs

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Kung Foo Chicken, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Kung Foo Chicken

Kung Foo Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens have been eating a lot of figs that fall through their cage. Our fig bush is pretty large and has been shade over the summmer for them since it is about 20ft tall (almost a tree). How safe is that they eat these? They do love them though and even fight over them when one falls into their cage.

2. n2h20

n2h20 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Pasadena Ca
    my chicks are at 5 month and my fig tree,,, well its like a tall stick with some branches on it,,,, any way,, they have eaten and liked the figs that did fall to the ground,, They seem to be okay..

3. sillybirds

sillybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    California
    I haven't had chickens for long, but I've been feeding my now 7 week old chicks figs, diced and mixed with yogurt. They love it and it hasn't seemed to harm them.

4. Jarhead

Jarhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Arkansas
    I eat figs from my bush, so I figure they are safe for my chicks. They seem to like them and do fine.

5. krjwaj

krjwaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Apex, NC
    I long for a fig tree!! You all are fortunate to have them. I am sure they are safe for the chickens, too. [​IMG]

6. krjwaj

krjwaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Apex, NC
    P.S.. not to get sidetracked, but are fig trees hard to maintain??
    (for when I get one [​IMG] )

7. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Your chickens will be fine, my chickens eat them off our trees here & no problems. [​IMG] They love the figs that are soft & ready to fall off the tree. [​IMG]

8. Jashdon

Jashdon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Snohomish, WA
    Fig bushes/trees are easy. They pretty much take care of themselves. Just make sure to prune out the dead and diseased limbs to keep them healthy. The main thing is to chose one that does well in your climate. From my memory of living in Chapell Hill, I don't think you should have a problem finding one hardy enough. Just go to a local nursery and they should be able to help you pick the right one out.

9. werblessd1s

werblessd1s Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    NORTH FLORIDA
    I was actually talking to my Dad this morning about going to my Grandmothers old house and getting some trimmings from her fig tree so I can grow a few. That tree holds a lot of childhood memories. It would be like having a piece of my grandmother still here with me.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  10. Jarhead

Jarhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Arkansas
    I went to my grandparents old house to knock on the door and ask the current owners if I could get cuttings off of the old fig tree and pomegranate tree (yes it was hardy here, and made lots of fruit, I wish I knew the variety it was). The trees were there when I was a boy and they were huge! When I got there there was a newer privacy fence around the back. I figured what the heck, so I knocked on the front door. The lady was nice, I explained who I was and told her of my fond childhood memories at her home. I asked if the trees were still there and if I could get a cutting. She said no, but invited me to see what they had done in the back yard. When I went back there I almost cried. ALL the trees were gone, 3 huge pecan trees that had to be 200 years old, the pomegranate, the figs, the plum and peach trees - ALL of them gone [​IMG] Instead there was the most sterile backyard I had ever seen, basically the entire thing was paved and there was a big pool. So sad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by