Edible flowers for chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ninabeast, May 11, 2011.

1. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    My four weeks old chicks LOVE dandelion flowers, and I'd like to broaden their little palates. I did a search and came up with flowers that are edible for humans (and lizards!), but I'd rather err on the side of caution, here.

Violas/pansies seem to be a good bet, and I'll add clovers when they come up. The Backyard Chickens treat list has only "Marigolds, nasturtiums, pansies, etc."

Anyone have any other input?

2. HenPenny

HenPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    Lewisville tx
    I don't have official confirmation about roses. But my yard is full of roses and the the petals fall in the chicken run. They eat them and so far no ill effects. I know people can , cats and squirrles eat them.

3. heather112588

heather112588 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    They are CRAZY for marigolds!!!

4. ninabeast

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    They are CRAZY for marigolds!!!

I'd better get planting some!​

5. heather112588

heather112588 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    I bought 24 6packs of them...they are 90% gone and i only have 4 chickens! The others would be gone as well had i not fenced in the garden. They helped themselves to my strawberry plants and grape vine last year too! They eat everything!!!

6. ninabeast

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    Just gave them chopped pansies/violas with some chopped grass. Complete silence for about ten seconds, and then...BEDLAM.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by