Edit.. 3 zipping..I may have killed my chicks... due to hatch tomorrow

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hennypen, May 18, 2010.

1. Hennypen

Hennypen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    I spilled something next to the incubator and totally NOT thinking, I picked one side of it up. This is a hovabator 1588 [​IMG] All the water in the troughs went under the plastic liner, into the other troughs, which in turn made the humidity level spike WAY up to 90%. Not enough to cause condensation on the eggs but obviously the water had to be cleaned up from under the plastic liner.

So I grabbed a ceramic space heater turned the shower on high and hot and let her rip until the humidity level in the bathroom was 80% and about 90deg. Turned the water off and let the space heater take care of the condenstaion. Once the condensation was gone and no longer forming, I brought the entire incubator into the bathroom, removed the eggs carton and all (not wet thankfully) and dumped all water out and dried with paper towels.

The humidity level around the eggs never dropped below 70%. Temp went down to 90 same as the room temp. [​IMG]

The humidity level is now abotu 76% and stable. [​IMG] I'll continue to watch it a while longer.

I can still hear chirping. The chirps stronger now than they were a few hours ago. Hopefully I didn't stress them out or cause shrink wrappage. [​IMG]

I feel horrible. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Is 76% too high? I don't know how to get it down any further at this point.

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  2. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    If the humidity level did not drop below 70... you should be fine.. they can handle a "short span" temp/humidity issue.. If you hear cheeps... you did good!

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

And here I thought you did something really bad. They are probably, 99.9% fine. A temporary OOPSIE is ok.....

4. kidcallous

kidcallous Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    Central Florida
    I've not hatched before, but even the mother hen leaves the nest for a few moments, right? A small slip up like this shouldnt be *that* big of a deal.... Dont beat yourself up!

5. Hennypen

Jun 14, 2009
    I had to take out the rubber shelf liner because that got real wet and raised the humitidy.. So now the chicks will be on the wire rack. [​IMG] I didn't have time to cut a new one. It was a rescue mission in the bathroom.

I hope 76% isn't bad for a long time because it's holding steady. I was a perfect 70% before I screwed up.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  6. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    still peeping.. your okay

7. eggsited chickens

eggsited chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    SW Michigan
    I think they will be ok.

I've done the same thing. I was filling my troughs and thought I"d make sure they were full enough and lifted the wire off and ended up picking everything up and spilling it. The other thing I did was I tried moving it and tipped it just a little and water went everywhere...had to do some clean up to.

8. Hennypen

Jun 14, 2009
    Did you do it the day before hatching?

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Honey I have all but drown my chicks and they hatched. Not all did, but enough to give me peace of mind!

10. Hennypen

Jun 14, 2009
    ok.. thanks... [​IMG] I'll quit worrying and go to bed. I can't imagine what kind of wreck I'll be when my horse is due to foal. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by