edit: chicken trying to dig at it's belly, falling backwards

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TeamChaos, May 13, 2010.

1. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    I found my four week old jersey giant with her head tucked to her belly this morning- she can't seem to keep it out of that position very long- she seems distressed and I am too- any info is appreciated. thanks

Edited to add- her neck seems fine now, she's trying to get at something on her stomach and she ends up tumbling backwards... there's nothing stuck on her butt and I don't know what else to check. She pooped a giant but normal looking poo this a.m.

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I can't think of the name, but that is caused by a vitamin D deficiency. If you can get some vitamin D into that chick, it will improve!

3. crittersitter

crittersitter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Westchester County,NY
    sounds like wryneck/crookneck and that coincides with a vitamin deficiency.Get Polyvisol infant vitamins WITHOUT iron. Make her a scrambled egg and keep her hydrated. if you use the search tool above and type in wryneck, lots of info will come up. I just finished treating one of mine and have seen tremendous improvement. Keep us posted! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by