Edit: contains dead embryo pics- Can you tell how old this developing egg is?

Biker chick

Chirping
Jan 14, 2021
Someone snuck two late eggs under my broody hen. I successful helped a live chick, and after float testing these two eggs showed they were moving, I made a peephole in the air space.

that’s when I saw this one wasn’t done cooking!
Membrane is intact, after wild fluctuations in temp and humidity, now finally in a real brooder- the egg is still alive and moving.
I can see good blood vessels, some light yellow stuff, and the dark lumps of the chick. I can not make out any eye/ beak/ body parts.

Any guess how much longer it needs?
Membrane dried a little, hoping 78% humidity in incubator will help.

Attachments

• 142F513C-6ED8-4D0A-9D02-D3CEBB78F0AC.jpeg
    142F513C-6ED8-4D0A-9D02-D3CEBB78F0AC.jpeg
    334.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 4A5BDC88-57A9-4C14-B200-2914A6AE65A9.jpeg
    4A5BDC88-57A9-4C14-B200-2914A6AE65A9.jpeg
    332.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

ChloeSilkie08

Crowing
Sep 10, 2020
Arkansas
Someone snuck two late eggs under my broody hen. I successful helped a live chick, and after float testing these two eggs showed they were moving, I made a peephole in the air space.

Membrane is intact, after wild fluctuations in temp and humidity, now finally in a real brooder- the egg is still alive and moving.
I can see good blood vessels, some light yellow stuff, and the dark lumps of the chick. I can not make out any eye/ beak/ body parts.

Why did you make a hole?

Biker chick

Chirping
Jan 14, 2021
Why did you make a hole?

i had to emergency move mom and chicks and three unhatched eggs. One of the eggs was pipped. When I checked 6 hours later, hen was not on eggs and they were stone cold.
I thought they were dead and then heard a peep from the pipped egg- I successfully assisted and saved the chick (she’s great!)
I warmed the other two eggs, saw they were alive, and thought they might be in same boat as the one I just helped. So I opened a hole to check, that’s when I saw they were not the same age.

MGG

❄ Anxiously Awaiting Spring ❄
Premium Feather Member
Feb 7, 2020
Midwest USA

It needs at least a few more hours, don't put anymore oil on it for now. It looks pretty greasy.

Biker chick

Chirping
Jan 14, 2021
It needs at least a few more hours, don't put anymore oil on it for now. It looks pretty greasy.
Thanks!
And it’s kind of looked like this since Tuesday....(was less dry and greasy then)
I’ll be home in a couple hours and will see 🤞

Top Bottom