Edit-- photo added My hen has lost all her feathers on her stomach!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NormaJeanChickenQueen, Aug 2, 2011.

1. NormaJeanChickenQueen

NormaJeanChickenQueen Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2011
    Please give me any advice on what to do. I have 3 Cornish Rock X's. They are roughly months old. Just found out last week, thanks to this site, that they are "meaties" that I unknowingly bought.

I realize they are old and anyone else would have processed them by now. They are HUGE, and I let them free range in my grassy yard most of the day. This morning I fed them and noticed one had a dark area under her left wing that I had not noticed before. On closer inspection, she has lost a lot of her feathers there though I don't see any open wound. I flipped her over, and ALL HER FEATHERS ON HER TUMMY AREA ARE GONE!!!![​IMG] I dont know what to do. She is eating well, and when the chickens walk, they do drag themselves as they are so large.

I checked the other 2 and they have some feathers on the tummy but not as much as they used to.....

In case you cant tell, these are my first chickens. Any advice or thoughts appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  2. KiraCookie

KiraCookie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Maine
    Sounds to me like your hen is going broody

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    No, she's not going broody.

I've never raised Cornish Xs, but have read that that is common to them. I've also read that they need food management or they get so fat their legs break or can't support them. They tend to have short lives.

I remember your pic of them, what a bummer. BYC member Gritsar had some dumped at her house and she managed to give them short but happy lives. I'll see if I can steer her your way, since she has experience.

4. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Since they are so heavy and are not up and walking around like regular chickens, they are just laying there and lose their belly feathers. They are not picky about where they poop either and laying in their poop will take the feathers off pretty quick too.

5. NormaJeanChickenQueen

NormaJeanChickenQueen Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2011
    [​IMG]

Horrible photo, I know. DH came home for lunch and helped me look at her more closely. Feathers gone, but maybe new ones coming in? Also black area looks like it was an injury, but I swear I never saw hew bleeding or acting in pain. I feel horrible! Our pen/coop they are in is secure and we have not had any predator problems yet.

I have found someone to trade buff orpington chicks w me, will do so Thursday or Friday. In the meantime, what do I need to do? And is the hurt hen "processable"? Thanks.

6. Ramp45

Ramp45 New Egg

Dec 29, 2010
    I have a broody hen who has lost her feathers on her belly, too. Do you think it's because she sits most of the day and doesn't eat enough protein and rubbing them off sitting? I read one article that sugjested feeding some cat food each day to give more protein. I'm feeding layer food, though. Any help is appreciated.
    [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

This is a year old thread.

Ramp, broodies purposefully pluck their bellies so their warm skin comes in contact with the eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by