Edit - too late, gosling has died

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Shiloh Acres, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Shiloh Acres

Shiloh Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Goslings were hatched by parents about 3 days ago. Unfortunately a community nest of an 11-month old Pilgrim and Emden geese. Any of my geese could be biological parents: Emden, Toulouse, Pilgrim.

There were 24 eggs, both broodies sat pretty well but some eggs probably pushed aside a bit. Found one zipped but dead, and one died the first day. All else seemed well. Oh, there were then six goslings. They have shallow water dish and a little unmedicated chick starter, parents take them out where there is plenty of grass, clover, and weeds. We don't use any pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers, etc.

Found one dead on the nest earlier. Now found a weak one on the nest. I had noticed one was slower at keeping up. One of them could be that one. The remaining four grazing with parents and seem healthy.

This one is chilled and weak. Head bobs a lot. He can't right himself or walk. He's in a cat crate on a towel with a light to warm up and starting to peep for the others.

Head still lying on side.

I don't notice anything unusual out there. Nest is mostly sticks so I thought maybe the weight of the parents had smashed the other one. Now I'm not to sure.

Once he warms up I plan to give him electrolytes if I can find them and make sure he's not lonely so he doesn't stress. I'm going to search for diseases but I so rarely have sick waterfowl.

Any other suggestions or ideas of what to look for or try? I had so counted on the hatch this year, and the numbers are not looking good. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  2. Shiloh Acres

Jul 16, 2010
    Well make that I am doing very little searching. I am sitting on the floor holding the now-sleeping gosling directly under the light bulb and my Internet access is limited to one finger typing on my cell phone which is resting on my other knee. At least he's getting warm and resting.

I still need help if anyone has suggestions. Thanks!!!

3. Shiloh Acres

Jul 16, 2010
    Thanks anyway, but gosling seemed to be resting peacefully but has died.

At least he died warm and not cold and feeling abandoned alone in the nest.

I just really hope the others will be ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by