Edit: too late

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Shiloh Acres, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Shiloh Acres

Shiloh Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    I am having trouble with losing goslings. I already posted in emergency/disease section, but not sure if goose folks go there, and I may not have much time.

Post is here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=486536

Basically
    I found one dead on the nest, I had thought maybe crushed. Shortly after I found another lying in the nest, cold and weak. These goslings have been going out eating grass etc for the past 3 days, hatched sometime last Wednesday.

I brought the weak one in and ended up holding it in my hand under a light for about half an hour. The feet and body are warm and he seems to be sleeping normally and is not stressed anymore for being alone. He still can't hold his head up. Is napping off and on and stirring a bit, still under the light. I'm going to think about giving him a drink, maybe fortified, in another 15 or 20 minutes.

Any other suggestions, ideas? Thanks. I really hate to lose any more.

Edit - the gosling seemed to be resting peacefully but died.

At least he died warm and not feeling alone and abandoned by the others. I surely hope the remaining four remain healthy.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  2. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] So sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

3. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    so sorry for your loss [​IMG]
    will be praying for the others to stay healthy

4. dutchhollow

dutchhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    SW IA
    Are they with thier mother?

5. DeerFarmer

DeerFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2011
    Harrisville,Pa
    When you say Fortified???
    Are you using warm Sugar or Honey/Corn Syrup water? If Not Do it ASAP
    I Feel That is the 1st step AFTER warming... Get it to Drink Warm water with any of the above Don't wait if weak...It will only get weaker.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  6. Shiloh Acres

Shiloh Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Thanks all.

Yes, the goslings were hatched by two broody geese - an Emden and a Pilgrim. I have a Pilgrim gander with them as well. I watch them often, and there has been no squabbling over the babies or problems at all.

The dead one and weak one were both found on the nest while the others were outside in the grass.

And my intent was to get the gosling warmed up and let it rest, then give it sweetened warm water. I had first thought electrolytes, but didn't want to throw him out of balance if I was wrong. Just wanted to warm him up and strengthen him. He got warm and fell asleep in my hand so I was going to let him rest for 15 or 20 minutes and get the stuff together to give him the warm sweetened water, but he died about that time.

The others appear very strong and healthy, so I hope they will be ok.

Thanks again, everyone.

7. DeerFarmer

DeerFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2011
    Harrisville,Pa
    So sorry for your loss sometimes it can't be helped...I Hope the rest do great for you!!

8. dutchhollow

dutchhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    SW IA
    What kind of feed is available for the geese?

9. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Awww...I'm sorry for your losses. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by